Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Default E320 oil pressure

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3>Hi,</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3>I have a '95 e320 w/ about 79K. The car is well cared for and serviced at MB dealer. Last 2-3 days, I noticed that the oil pressure drops to about 1.5 bar at stoplights. It quickly resumes to the top when you touch the accelerator. But I have never seen it drop so low at idle when in gear. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3>I also noticed that my water temp is goingup over the half way mark when the car is warm and at idle. Could this be connected? Any idea what it might be.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3>I live in VA, and the outside temp right now is about 40F.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3></FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3>Thanks for the input.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=3>Albert </FONT></P>

Old 01-07-2004, 01:35 AM

1.5 sounds normal. Is the oil pressure or water temp different than in the past? Did you have your oil changed recently? A more restrictive filter may cause this but I don't think it's anything to get alarmed about.</P>

</P>

Old 01-07-2004, 11:39 AM

what your describing isn't abnormal for your car. BUT..........if it's "different" than what your used to seeing than it could be a problem. If your seeing hotter than normal temps while idling my first guess is your viscous fan clutch is not working like it should. It should start to roar when your temps. get around 100'C when you start to accelerate. If it doesn't than it's going bad, very common and not hard to change.</P>

Now if you've done something else to the car recently like had the oil changed using a thinner oil or coolant flushed out (air still in the system) than that might explain your higher than normal temps. Please tell us more.</P>

Old 01-07-2004, 12:18 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have had this car for only about eight months. I had an '87 300TDT that was totalled when someone ran a red light going 50mph and hit me just behind the driver's door.</P>

</P>

The e320 I have has about 79K and has been serviced all its life at an MB dealer. They apparently used quaker 10-40 all the time. When I got the car I first changed the oil with Mobil Delvac 10-40 (it is S rated) as I still had two gallons left for my diesel. I am in the second oil change that I did about 2K ago and am using Mobil 1 (10-30). The engine is running smoother and quieter. I am big fan of of synthetic lubricants. I am also using MB oil filters.</P>

</P>

The water temperaturte is running higher than it has since Iboughtthe car. Actually, this symptom started about three weeks ago. When the car is in motion the temp is right in the middle of the gauge. When I stop at lights it will go up to about 3/4 and comes down quickly when it resumes motion. On occassion I will hear the electric fans come on. When I look under the hood with the engine running, the mechanical fan is turning.</P>

</P>

Thank you for your help.</P>

</P>

Albert </P>

Old 01-07-2004, 03:56 PM

The fan will turn as long as the engine is running, the question is whether it's locking up and turning at a higher speed when the engine gets hot. If you don't hear it whooshing or roaring when you start to accelerate from a stop (and your temps are high) than it probably isn't working correctly. That would be the first place I would start to see if it's working correctly.</P>

As far as synthetics go you and I both are big fans of them. The delvac is an excellent choice and returns great oil samples. It should be a 5W-40 though, never heard of Delvac 1 in a 10W-40.</P>