Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320-Giving a warning msg-"Reduce Engine Oil"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Default E320-Giving a warning msg-"Reduce Engine Oil"

After a recent oil change, my E320 2000 model flashes a warning every now and then - "Reduce Engine Oil". The MB service centre is closed in this part of the world for a one week holidfay and so I can't go back to them. Checking with the dip-stick I find the oil level at Max mark. So i guess the sensor may be malfunctioning, but it's just guesswork. My question is, Is it really a dangerous situation? What are the consequences of the engine oil being really at ahigher levelthan recommended?

Best Regards,
Nadeem810

Old 12-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Banned
Default RE: E320-Giving a warning msg-"Reduce Engine Oil"

Way over would be a problem,but since you are just at max you are fine,the sensor is just triggering the warning at times like after you are on a hill or incline or pressure moves the level up a bit.Change your own oil next time and then you can bring the level up to between the lines and know it is correct.
general section
http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/DoItYourSelf
cheers,
ohlord

Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 PM

I would insist that the shop that changed your oil correct the problem. This happened to me. The shop had to drain about a quart by removing the dust pan, removing the pan plug (bolt), and clumsily reinserting it after about a quart had drained. It would have been much easier if he had siphoned theold out initially.

I had suggested that, since it is nearly impossible to drain ALL the oil, that he install 8 quarts and then check it. Instead, he poured more than 8.5 quarts before checking it. After my complaint, he showed me the dip stick, arguing that the oil was only at the full mark. I refused to ignore the electronic signal that the oil level was overfull.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 PM

oil must be checked HOT!!! oil level on the dipstick can raise as much as 1/4 inch from cold to hot. so if they fill it cold to the full mark it will turn on your light when hot.

overfull engine oil can in some cases cause catalyst damage, false misfire codes, oil consumption, smoke from exhaust.

competent techs only on your benz will save you money. i have a shirt that says "you think this benz tech is expensive....try a bad one!"

Old 12-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

A quarter inch high is not going to damage the motor,any more then a quarter inch low would damage it.Cold or hot on level ground from the max line to the min line is fine.
Now put in a liter over full and then you are talking!!!!He will probably consume half a liter in the next several thousand miles anyway

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 AM

Thanks, ohlord, trivett & braucher1 for responding to my question. If the oil level is way too high, would the warning be constantly on? At present it only comes on after driving 10-12 miles. Thanks.
Nadeem810

Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

check the dip stick,that is the real reading.if just at the upper mark that is what the teck above was explaining about the rise in level triggering the warning.if it becomes a bother have them siphon some out.
ohlord

Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Default E320 reduce engine oil light

my reduce oil light came on during an hour and a half ride home. During the ride it went off an came on often, when we turned into our development all warning lights along with wipers and interior lights began to flash. I parked my car at this time it was midnight so I went to bed. The next morning I started the car an it seemed fine until I drove it for 20min at that time the reduce oil light come on. I had the oil changed, it's an 05 so i checked the oil with the menu option and it said oil level correct. Drove it 20min an the light came on again and its idling super low an ruff at 5 to 10 mph. Anyone have any input on my problem.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:50 PM

Awesome Lowering module
Amazon Amazon