Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E320 CDI auto gearbox won't change gears? Can anyone please advise?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Default E320 CDI auto gearbox won't change gears? Can anyone please advise?

Hi There, I am a new member and desperately need some advise.
I have a 2001 E320 CDI turbo diesel automatic tiptronic but my merc won't change gears, it stays on 1st gear all the time, i don't think it can be the gearbox itself as it is not slipping and I am not hearing any rattling or broken bits coming from the gearbox so I was wondering if it could be the ECU or does the car have any other gearbox sensors which tells it to change gears?
At first when it wouldn't change gears if I switched the car off and then on again it would work fine but now it just won't change at all and even the manual gear change won't work either.
Could it be the ECU or any sensors?
Would be very grateful for any advise.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned
Default RE: E320 CDI auto gearbox won't change gears? Can anyone please advise?

Did you spill any fluid into the gear selector?
Try resetting the system,unhook the neg battery cable and with the key out of the ignition step on the brake pedal for 30 seconds,rehook up the battery cable.Follow the reset procedure outlined in the manual for how to sync everything after battery change.
may help if it is a computer gremlin,if not you will need a shop to read the trans codes.
ohlord

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Default RE: E320 CDI auto gearbox won't change gears? Can anyone please advise?

Thank you oh Lord for your help and advise.

There hasn't been any spillage of fluids in or near the gearbox selector.

I tried your suggestion of disconnecting the negative cable on the battery and depressing the brake cable but unfortunately it made no difference and the car still wo'nt change gears. It sounds like it's in Limp mode.

Any other suggestions what it could be please?

Regards

Tony

Old 10-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by tmirza
Hi There, I am a new member and desperately need some advise.
I have a 2001 E320 CDI turbo diesel automatic tiptronic but my merc won't change gears, it stays on 1st gear all the time, i don't think it can be the gearbox itself as it is not slipping and I am not hearing any rattling or broken bits coming from the gearbox so I was wondering if it could be the ECU or does the car have any other gearbox sensors which tells it to change gears?
At first when it wouldn't change gears if I switched the car off and then on again it would work fine but now it just won't change at all and even the manual gear change won't work either.
Could it be the ECU or any sensors?
Would be very grateful for any advise.
i also have a merc 320 cdi 2002 model , auto box , it was driving yesterday , and then today nothing , selects the gear , but wont go forward or backwards , it did try for one moment today , sometimes the reves when its in gear seem like they have been limited whilst it doesent go anywere , i tried toping up the fluid but that made no diference , i hope you can solve your problem , and if anyone can help me i would be greatfull , my email is stewart.stone@btinternet.com

Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Default mercedes gearbox

if your car is not changeing gears , you need a speed sensor. which fits on the outside of the gearbox. priced £150.50penc
E including vat, from any merc dealership.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Hi,
i'm new here, and sorry for my poor english as i'm from Portugal,
I have a e320 from 2002, auto box, and in my case I start having troubles when I stop for a wille like in one semaphore, and when I need to proceed the gear box don't respond, it stay like in 2º all the time. In the past I stop the car and when I start again the problem was solved. But today when I start in the morning it was ocurred and now the mecanic whant me to bay one new gear box, Can you help me to clarify this, please,
Thanks.
Eduardo Vale

Old 08-08-2017, 05:02 PM

Hello Eduardo and welcome to the forum! Before spending money on a new gearbox, have your shop retrieve the error codes off the DTC, this will give you a definitive place to start troubleshooting.