Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering the purchase of a used E-320 / First time MB buyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Default Considering the purchase of a used E-320 / First time MB buyer

Greetings, all...

I am a young insurance agent who mostly deals with commercial accounts (business insurance). Even in this economy, business has been going well - but not great.

I am single and I have a very cheap rent situation going on that I feel could last for awhile. The thing that concerns me most right now is my car.

I am currently driving a 1999 Honda Accord V6 sedan. The paint is starting to fade on the roof and trunk and it is getting up there in miles. I have to admit that I do feel a little odd driving around in this old and faded car, esp., when going on sales calls.

Some more experienced people have told me that in my line of business cars are somewhat important. And I generally agree that certain cars can make a statement about the driver's attitudes towards life and their profession.

I have long considered buying a used Mercedes-Benz. I am talking specifically about a 1998-2002 E320 sedan. You can get them for pretty good prices and for the most part, they hold their value well and even for being 8-12 years old do not look that dated. I feel like a black Mercedes E class, even though it might be used, would create the kind of statement that I am looking to make: conservative, quality-focused and serious.

I never saw Mercedes-Benz as a "flashy" car in the same vein as a Jaguar or Cadillac. Most of the time it seems that Mercedes sedans are driven by mature business-man types.

I guess my question is kind of multi-faceted: Has anyone had good luck with used E-Class MBs? Does anyone have any thoughts about the relationship between sales success / looking the part and cars are concerned? Or am I just getting caught up in foolishness?

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM

I have a 97 E320 so I'm just outside your year range and I love my car. That being said, it has had issues that I think MB should have been better about. My right rear window regulator broke about 6 months ago, and yesterday the left one broke. A couple years ago the interior fan switch went out... just things that I don't expect from a MB after driving them for 30+ years.