Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budgeting for maintenance costs: Advice for a first time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Question Budgeting for maintenance costs: Advice for a first time buyer

I've been looking for a second car, something affordable and reliable enough to get me the few miles to and from work each day without a lot of maintenance costs.

I've come across a pretty good deal on a 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 with about 111K miles on it. I never would have considered a Mercedes, but I'm realizing that because of budget constraints, I'm going to have to buy something with a lot of miles on it. My options are a Japanese or American car with about 85K or the Mercedes with 111K. The Mercedes caught my eye because even though it's heavy on mileage, I figured it's less likely to die a year down the road because...well it's a Mercedes!

1.) My first question is, do you think that logic is sound (pending a mechanic's inspection of course)? My second and third questions are more important.

2.) I've heard that the maintenance costs on Mercedes are astronomically more expensive than their competitors. Is that true?

3.) Considering what I will use it for, would I be better getting the American or Japanese car with slightly less mileage?

By the way, I know very little about cars so I am not able to do mechanical work myself. Thanks for your tips!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Default C230

I recently purchased a 2005 C230 Sport w/ 69K miles. I love this car so much. It wasn't originally my first choice either. I was considering the comparable lexus and infiniti but after test driving all cars and doing much research, I found that the quality of MBs can't be beat!

Take the interior. In the Japanese cars I found that many of the materials were cheap and literally falling apart on the cars that had 60K + miles. The MB interior was still in brand new shape. Everything from the leather seats to the dashboard and buttons was immaculate.

Things such as brakes and tires, which are normal expected costs, should cost the same whether is is a MB or japanese comparable car. The expenses that I have my fingers crossed on are electrical issues which are more common on german cars.

Other than that, each car is different and the amount of care you give your car makes a big difference. I would be interested to hear from other owners what are some other maintenance issues to expenct with the C230...