Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cd changer suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Default cd changer suggestions

Just picked up a 1999 E320 Sedan (with 24,000 miles). Happy as can be except, I miss my cd player...this one does not have the stacker in the trunk. What are my options? Any suggestions?

Here is what i have found thus far (for options):
1. OEM about $780.00 installed--used not an option; too many horror stories
2. aftermarket via radio frequency (sound quality is bad; therefore not a real choice)
3. aftermarket radio/cd--remove the existing radio--phone and tape deck not used anyway
4. Ipod type of connection (i have no idea about this one)
5. ????

I am hoping forum members have had similar choices and decisions and could offer opinions.

Thank you in advance to those who read this and/or reply.

remigo

Old 09-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Default RE: cd changer suggestions

I'm thinking of this combo: go with Audio 10 head unit and rig with aux in adaptor. Since
you'll have panel CD access, you wont need the changer connection. Plop the Ipod, or
portable MP3 player in the console. This appliance allows relatively easy access to wide
variety of tunes.

Audio 10 is about $350-400

aux in adaptor $250-500 depending....

MP3 or Ipod runs upwards of $200

...which is just a bit over OEM changer NIB....but with far better results and reliability, and
it retains the MB classic look on the panel w/o ice blue lights (if that matters to you).

Old 10-01-2005, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something a little less radical. I am not an audiofile so as long as it sounds pretty good i am happy. I do not mind controlling the radio from the ipod and do not need to see the read out on the radio screen.....

Has anyone heard about using the telephone connnection to obtain power and access to speakers? via some auxillary scenario?

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:05 AM

The phone works on an optic fibre link to the head unit, as does the OEM stacker.

If you replace the head unit with an after market stereo, you will loose a lot of the functions which the OEM unit can do, including the phone if it is installed.

As yet, there is not a OEM kit available for the Ipod on that car. ( I don't know if there will be one). The great thing about the ipod kit on the latter cars, is that you can control the ipod from the multifunction steering wheel, and view the contents on the instrument cluster. But these kits only work with the Audio5 CD, and the Audio 20 CD units in the latter cars. As well as if you have command. But these kits are only available for current model cars

I would suggest trying the Ipod with an FM transmitter or, if you have a tape deck, try the cassette adapter. It is the least intrusive method and won't compromise the operating system in the car. Perhaps you can find a shop that will demo the ipod in your car??

I have an iriver mp3 player, and that has a great sound.