Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter E240

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Default Catalytic converter E240

Hi guys! Had big problems a few days ago with the catalytic converter drivers side, I actuallywent to the garage with a tire problem, I asked the mach in look underneath as there was a little rattle from time to time.To my horror he told me that the Cat needed replacing and it would cost at least 1200euros before Tax..I nearly dropped! So anyway I cheacked the web top and bottom everywhere I searched for it I was advised to a main dealer for the original catalytic converter from Mercedes. Finally I went to another Mach he rang everywhere finally he got no not original but does the trick at 750euros. My main questions are why are they so expensive and how long should they last. There are two on the E240 v6...There is only 60,000 miles on mine....Regards Sean (Ireland)

Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Default RE: Catalytic converter E240

What kind of warranty do you have in your country for the converter? I had the same problem with my Jeep and was quoted almost $1,600 for a replacement a few years ago. The Jeep was out of warranty but the Federal warranty (United States) covered the converter for 8 years / 80,000 miles. The dealership wasunaware ofextented warrantybut when brought to their attention replaced the coverter no charge.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 PM

MB in the UK only warrant for the normal warranty period + possibly a little extra if they offer goodwill i.e. think you might buy again!

Common problem on V6 112 engine and also many other engine variants. I had this problem on my SLK at 75000 LH and 80000 RH mile and 105 and 110,000 miles on the w220 S Class, both with M112 V6 320 engines.

Packing material around the cat blows away and then allows the cat block to rattle especially when cold.

MB just don't want to know although this is a design weakness rather than a specific fault. (They all do it subject to usage conditions, mileage etc!!) MB just say they can't control useage conditions and come up with rubbish like do I drive a lot on wet motorways or maybe I put the wrong fuel in.

The trilobe shape of the MB cat casing is not conducive to maintaining the correct pressure on the insterstitial packing material. The radial pressure onto the packing material is VITAL if it is not to be blown away. Secondly sudden changes in casing temp due to hitting a puddle etc on the underside of the gearbox cats suggests that they should be guarded from receiving such spray conditions. A simple shield would work wonders. MB just don't want to know. Out of warranty TOUGH!

Unfortunately I like the cars dynamics too much to change brands.

I wasn't prepared to spend the money so removed the cat monolith and rewelded the case. Vehicle still meets the legislative requirements since the standard is not particularly demanding once the car is not new, at least in the UK. The up front pre cats and the closed loop emmissions system does an excellent job and the main cats aren't required....At least that is my experience. Certainly my car has passed the yearly MOT at my local MB dealer with printed emmission results better than the legal requirement. I'm not going to disagree with them!

Outrageous pricing. Only available from MB unless you are prepared to weld in different shaped cats into the existing system pipework. Not recommended.

If you would like to know more PM me. Pictures of internal damage etc.

Stuart

Old 04-05-2007, 05:18 AM

Thanks Guys for your speedy reply, Wots this about a waranty? My car is year 2000 with 80,000mls does a warranty exist on a second owner and a car that old? Someone hinted to me if the passenger side on started to rattle crush it slightly until the rattle stopped, don't know if that would work...more than likely have to dip into the piggy bank!.....cheers Sean

Old 04-05-2007, 09:53 AM

If you would like to know more PM me. Pictures of internal damage etc.
Stuart