Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can u test a waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Default Can u test a waterpump

good afternoon to all. I have a 89 300E in pretty good condition. Lately it has started overheating. I changed the waterpump about 2 years ago and prob only put 10,000 or less miles on the car(i live 5 min from work).Anyway,at first i ruled this out and replaced radiator as it seemed to have a major clog.The car would heat up very quickly(my t-stat is out because i wanted to check the cheapest thing first)and eventually overheat(good 10 min). When i shut down the engine i felt the radiator and its completly cold(leading me to believe clog).The fan clutch seems to have some resistance but it wouldnt account for the cold radiator anyway?A coworker suggested that i remove the top rad hose,hold it upwards,crank car and see would water pump out(rem. t-stat is out so nothing is constricting flow)I DID TODAY AND NOTHING COMES OUT OF TOP HOSE!!!!There is also slight play in pump pulley and I can take belt off pulley by hand but accs seem normal with no squeal???IS ANY OF THIS NORMAL.....i am 22 wilth limited car experience and money but i did help my uncle with the original replacement and believe that i can accomplish this . is there any photos of an install???? i believe my hang up is just figuring out how to remove and retighen the serp. belt.
Any tips will be welcome.Also, just curious if i could rig the aux waterpump to run with car on to get water circulating???

Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Default Added info on waterpump testing

i read a post and tried to tighten my belt.i put a 13mm on the long nut and turned it clockwise.It dosent have a stopping point.should it???Also, the arrow with lines on both sides dosent move.Should it???I read that lines by arrow should line up with number 7 of a second series of lines. Where is this other set and should the point of the arrow line or the back(flat) line meet up with this other set. I went both ways with the 13mm and none gave anymore slack in the belt which can be moved off the waterpump by hand......please help

Attached Thumbnails Can u test a waterpump-p8120719.jpg   Can u test a waterpump-p8120720.jpg   Can u test a waterpump-p8120721.jpg   Can u test a waterpump-p8120723.jpg   Can u test a waterpump-p8120722.jpg  

Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Default Waterpump

If you have absolutely no circulation in your cooling system there is only one cause (that I know) and that is that the water pump is not working at all.
If you would have a blockage, the pressure on the other hoses would become so high that eventually you would have to see a leakage at engine/hose joints.

If you can remove the whole belt by hand it is pretty bad, you may want to disassemble the whole thing, change the belt tensioner and then reassemble the belt again, but this time correctly. Under no circumstance should you be able to remove the belt from the water pump by hand.

If this doesn't do the job take out the water pump again (before you destroy much more in your engine due to excessive temperatures) and check it's correct functioning. Changing the pump one more time is much cheaper than changing the cylinder head gasket and flattening the cylinder head.

Taking the thermostat out is not a good idea. This will cause huge temperature differences inside the engine (between first and last cylinder) and it will cause serious damage to your engine block.

Lastly, if you have no clue how to do the repair yourself, bring the car to a good mechanic and have the problem sorted out quickly. Driving around with excessive temperatures or worse........without cooling is a sure way to completely destroy the engine and that is something you don't want to do.
________
Teenpussy Live

Last edited by Mambo; 09-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Default gettiing better

i believe that my tensioner is bad(prob happened when my uncle put the pump on) it did seem to get a little tighter after adj but its broke(arrow dosent move?). Since the adj my car has not overheated while driving. it still will get hot a idle(making me think fan clutch which is original 1989)Also the radiator is finally starting to get hot in middle(circulation). Im still curious if i take the top rad hose off and crank car will that tell me if waterpump is bad.Belt is tighter making me not want to tear car apart,especially when ive never done it before(hate to tow it to repair shop if i cant finish but will)any tips or is there a link to a replacement with PHOTOS.US ROOKIES NEED THEM.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 PM

If the tensioner is bad then you should replace it, it ain't there for no purpose !

You also don't need to take the hose off to check circulation. Just take the top hose in your hands and try to squeeze it. You should feel a back pressure from the cooling liquid passing through.

Again, driving around with bad cooling is the last thing you want to do, before you know it you can change the whole engine.
________
KutieDoll

Last edited by Mambo; 09-01-2011 at 09:47 PM.