Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can this gas mileage be right???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Default Can this gas mileage be right???

'94 320e with 110k..195 interstate miles @ 70-75 mph no tailwind...195 miles/6.8 gallons=28.6 (??)..to say I'm pleased is an understatement..and to think I was going to sell the beast! Tomorrow I finish the instrument cluster on the "87 300e (114k)..replaced bulbs, put white gauge faces on and painted the needles..will never remove indicator needles on any other of my MBs due to pucker factor in removing them and frustration factor in putting them back on..Saturday I will replace the AC condenser and dryer and put new tires on the '87 and get this car to daughter #2 in college as she has my 95 320ce (112k) and it makes me nervous since I love this car almost as much as my wife (OK at times maybe more)...God, I love my cars....
GO IRISH!!
Mike

Old 09-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Default RE: Can this gas mileage be right???

=35.75 Imperial!
Quite feasible.

When measuring fuel consumption it is VITAL to go brim tank to brim tank (not usual pump cut off since this point varies on speed of fuel delivery, temperature, angle of nozzle etc.)
Carry out the test over a significant distance. 200 miles is significant.
Do not assume that the in car odometer and computer are accurate!
Be honest with yourself about the wind and overall gradient.
A reverse test helps to improve confidence in your (overall) results.

Most impoprtant thing is you are happy.

My S class 320 w220 achieves 35 imperial on a regular 200 mile trip at similar speeds which is usually follwed up with a reverse 200 mile trip within a couple of days. Results based on genuine mileage and brim to brim commercial pump figures (maybe they short change us!!).
UK motorways have 16th mile numbered marked posts along their entire length so checking vehicle odometer accuracy over long test distance is easy. Surprisingly mine odometer was within 0.1%! The trip computer accuracy changes dependent upon driving type. Its tends to flatter somewhat at constant motorway speed.
However occasional cold start around town consumption is more like 20 imperial or even worse . (1 USG = 4/5 Imperial)

Motorway crusin consumption is all about aerodynamics (CdA) and speed.
The S class has a Cd of about 0.27 (please correct me if I have been a little too enthusiastic but Google returns anything from 0.26 to 0.32) which is EXCELLENT due to shape and underfloor panelling and the A=frontal area is reduced automatically at speed with the airmatic suspension lowering itself to cruise height, so there is less drag than most cars out there.

Not sure about the E class but MB recognise and deliver good Cd and I'm sure it will be similar.

Around town it is all about weight (w220 is HEAVY), so consumption is not good, likewise if you point and shoot, streak off the lights etc.

Note. Air Con REDUCES your consumption SIGNIFICANTLY. I usually run with AC OFF (EC ON) unless I really need it.

Stuart