Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Keyless Go Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Default Buy Keyless Go Transmitter

I recently purchased a 2012 E550 Cab that only had one transmitter. I suspect I will not be able to purchase an OEM transmitter online, but which dealer has the cheapest price? I travel alot and may be in the area.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Are you inquiring about the keyless fob? If so, you're able to purchase one online and can program it yourself if you have the tool or take it to a dealer to program.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hello and welcome to the forum! Are you inquiring about the keyless fob? If so, you're able to purchase one online and can program it yourself if you have the tool or take it to a dealer to program.
Yes, I am looking for a keyless go fob. Everything I have read says that these fobs are not re-programmable and they come from Mercedes already programmed. Aside from a dealer, where could one buy one of these fobs that can be programmed?

Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by davery5872
Yes, I am looking for a keyless go fob. Everything I have read says that these fobs are not re-programmable and they come from Mercedes already programmed. Aside from a dealer, where could one buy one of these fobs that can be programmed?
I believe that you can buy a 'blank' one and have the dealer do it for you. They are available on Ebay.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:43 AM
ot1

For security reasons, FOBs only come from Dallas preprogrammed, Mercedes dealers do not have a programming tool and they order the keys from Dallas. There is a tool that supposedly can copy a key, but I'm told it doesn't work for all classes. You are not saving much money when you buy a blank key then take it to a locksmith that has the tool, so then your traveling and now you don't have your car with you to test the key, or do you? When you buy the key from a Mercedes dealer its going to work, are they are two types of keys, you want a REPLACEMENT key and not a NEW key which uses the next available slot (eight slots total). A REPLACEMENT key uses the same slot as the missing key and will overwrite the missing key so that it cannot be used to steal your car. And what about the mechanical key that slips into the FOB? that is not always included in the quoted price so make sure you ask. Mechanical key for the old style FOB (black) those cost $35, I recall the hard key for the chrome FOB is $85. Call STAR motors in Houston on Katy Frwy for accurate pricing or Mercedes Westmont Illinois for comparison.

Last edited by ot1; 10-31-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ot1
For security reasons, FOBs only come from Dallas preprogrammed, Mercedes dealers do not have a programming tool and they order the keys from Dallas. There is a tool that supposedly can copy a key, but I'm told it doesn't work for all classes. You are not saving much money when you buy a blank key then take it to a locksmith that has the tool, so then your traveling and now you don't have your car with you to test the key, or do you? When you buy the key from a Mercedes dealer its going to work, are they are two types of keys, you want a REPLACEMENT key and not a NEW key which uses the next available slot (eight slots total). A REPLACEMENT key uses the same slot as the missing key and will overwrite the missing key so that it cannot be used to steal your car. And what about the mechanical key that slips into the FOB? that is not always included in the quoted price so make sure you ask. Mechanical key for the old style FOB (black) those cost $35, I recall the hard key for the chrome FOB is $85. Call STAR motors in Houston on Katy Frwy for accurate pricing or Mercedes Westmont Illinois for comparison.
The cheapest quote I have received has been $379 including the blade key. There does seem to be a difference of opinion about whether the fob needs to be programmed by the dealer. Some have said yes, some have said no. Honestly. this seems a bit expensive too me and I was hoping for a cheaper option. I can't believe that there is no alternative way to start the car other than the fob.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:34 AM

It's really the best quote because getting it done at $379 by locksmith nearby is a great deal.