Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avg. MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Default RE: Avg. MPG

Yes. This this 35mpg number came from the onboard computer. The car is a 2002 E320. V6. It has about 70,000 miles on it. This is no LIE. I know I had a hard time believing it for my self. But also you have to remember that there was a clear straight at about 65ish and cruise control. Along with 2 people in the car, 4 bags and the A/C about half way on.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM

My 1987 420SEL I think gets maybe 22mpg on the highway. My 2000 C280 struggles to get 25MPG. Its small and gets not too good MPG. I dont know how that works.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 PM

in fact my good friend just sent me a post card of 'big boy' the largest steam engine ever built, from cheyane wyoming, guess how much 'big boy' weighed?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 PM

plus I don't think an e wagon can get much more than 22 mpg, at best..although I must admit, I haven't actually gauged it tank to tank. I am guessing though that a 3 litre 3800 lb automobile with a 4 speed automatic can't get much better than 22 or so...hell, my 3200 lb bmw with a 2.5with a 4 speed auto only pulls around 26...but, as i said, i haven't actually checked the 300TE down to the letter...i could be wrong, but i don't think i am...cliff

Old 09-14-2008, 12:34 AM

Hi Cliff.

Assuming the on board computer is giving correct figures by comparing with fuel added from brimmed to brimmed tank and confirmed distance, I suspect you had somewhat of a following wind.
35MPG/Gall (IMP) is easily achievable but recognising that you guys have a "short" gallon (only 80% of what we guys have!!!) 43.75 MPG/Gall (Imp) is IMHO a little too high without some assistance.

Kevin,

Although I'm familiar with the States it appears that I am indeed out of touch with "reality".

Quote......"I haven't been required to have my cars inspected or comply with EPA emission regs in over 30 yrs....just because of where I choose to live. Nobody is gonna come bulldozing in from the Feds and tell rural people how and what they are gonna drive. And short of sending the National Guard in to enforce things, it ain't gonna happen" .
AMAZING.

"Old" cars are a "loophole" that I am also taking advantage of BUT I still continue to maintain that increasingly punitive taxes will be added to new cars and or running expenses (of gasoline powered vehicles) that will modify behaviour in America as well as the rest of the World.

The fact that you admit to avoiding unnecessary journeys, grocery store disposal bags and recycling suggests that some of the European crackpot idea are permeating even the "WILD West".

I agree that gasoline engine efficiency is unlikely ti improve significantly but WEIGHT will continue to reduce.

I agree that BIG is beautiful where SAFETY is concerned involving BIG (heavy) vs SMALL (light) but if all were to have SMALL, then SMALL can be as safe as BIG.

OK. I give in!

America will continue with its desire for and the reality of unnecessarily large engined and sized personal transport.
I guess I will have to defer to your better understanding of America.

After all I'm only in an econbox (at least for some of the time) and don't fancy facing some of your Soccer (I thought it was Hockey) Mom's in their Youkons.

Stuart

Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Stuart,
It's a mindset that permeates the nouveau riche here in America. As soon as they get some ahead, they want to wear it and show it in whatever they drive. That has been the absolute staple of the big, shiny SUV and luxury car in America. There are plenty of sensibly smaller cars out there and many single females drive them. Young males like the smaller tuner cars these days. But everything changes with marriage, kids and the illusion of 'success'. They argue that they need the extra space for kids and gear. No, it's "Soccer Mom" here (although I rarely hear "Hockey Mom"). I misspelled "soccer" miserably-I knew it didn't look correct, but I'm horribly dyslexic.

When I was married with two kids we started out with a diesel Peugeot wagon. Then got a new gas, Peugeot wagon. Then we had money down on a Volvo wagon (loved the Peugeot wagons but the dealerships pulled out of the US), when I asked the wife what she "really' wanted for a car. “Mercedes', she said, however we bought the car for its supposed longevity and engineering, not its snob appeal. I much preferred the Volvo, because they encouraged you to work on your own car (if you wanted to) and made user workshop manuals available-I checked into it at the time. However, the 4matic soon won me over with some incredible snow/ice ventures back in the Midwest. There was ample room in the Mercedes wagon for even three kids. The idea that kids have to have their own cocoon in an BIG SUV, resplendent with their own TV monitor and sound system is just wasteful decadence. Did you know that it's now SUPER trendy here to rent those big RV rigs and take your family 'camping'? See the movie “RV” with Robin Williams, it's a parody of just that-'The Big Rolling Turd' indeed.

Good point about smaller cars hitting smaller cars, but I don't see that happening here until I'm too old to drive, seriously. Yes, weight continues to come off cars with the use of composites and lighter, stronger steels and novel engineering concepts.

My ideas about recycling have been lifelong, not a Euro concept. I learned that in my college protest days and from frugal backpacking up in the mountains. For us old hippies, we had a back-to-the-country movement shortly after the 60's wherein alternative energy was extremely popular and recycling was everything. Not so much for the Earth (in reality), but to get by on less-turns out they go hand in hand actually.;-) Then of course, it got trendy to do it for the Earth. I still have the original "Foxfire' series books along with old "Mother Earth News" magazines, as they were our bibles. There was even a complimentary cookbook back then called "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" about a family's foibles after they moved to Northern Idaho and lived off the land. However, I never could get the 'zoom factor' out of my genes.

Cliff, I can't believe that you're only getting 22mpg on your wagon. I'm assuming that it's pretty much exactly like my '92? Maybe there were some refinements in my fuel injection system, I dunno. I never get less than 25mpg in town and 27 on the hwy is easy if I can keep it near the speed limit. I don't know if that is unusual or not-that's from filling up the same each time at the pump and checking mileage with a hand calculator.
Kevin

Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 PM

35 mpg is not achievable on a e300 wagon...just not..unless you are driving downhill out to the Rocky Mountains....or being towed ...cliff

Old 09-15-2008, 12:12 AM

Sounds like a stretch to me and why I encourage him to do this at the pump for a few tankfuls with a calculator. I think to totally trust an onboard computer in folly. I'd be double checking more before I made a claim like that. Have we gotten so lazy that we can't even use a simple calculator?

Anyway, I thought he had a sedan, not a wagon?

Kevin

Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 AM

A bit of MENTAL math is all that is required!!

Its the accuracy of fuel used, distance travelled and driving condition data that impacts the result.

,,,,wonder about accuracy of "gallon" from the pump and how this compares with a real gallon?
Lay odds it's short rather than extra.....

and of course the temp of the fuel when quantity is measured also impacts result

......as does octane /RON/ grade etc etc etc.

When "official" data is produced in the lab EVERYTHING is controlled so one manufacturer can be compared against another BUT these figures CANNOT be bettered.
The official figures are conducted on vehicles that are in "prime condition".
Production vehicles are tested at regular intervals for compliance but an allowance is made against the claimed official figure to allow for the fact that a new vehicle are not in "optimum" condition.
Not sure what the allowance is made....most probably 5% or similar but we are talking populations and statistics here...beyond my understanding.

Just some of the factors that are controlled.
Ambient temp (lab with 24 hrs min soak to this temp), wind (none!!), tyres (best rolling resistance), fuel (reference quality), fuel temp, driving style/cycle, road surface (smooth steel), tyre pressure,

The UK official data states for Extra Urban (i.e. Out of town driving).
Note: Extra Urban is not constant speed so these figures could be exceeded under exceptional circumstances.
ALL "gallon" figures below are IMPERIAL so multiply by 80% to get US equivalent.

Definition: Extra-urban cycle
This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle (so egine up to temp) and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km). The cycle is shown as Part Two in the diagram below.
Go to http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/inf...ing-scheme.asp to get cycle data.

E Class w211 350 with 245/265 tyres and A7 trans 36.2 imp and 244 g/km CO2
S Class w221 350 with 235 tyres and A7 trans 36.7 and 242 g/km CO2.
S Class w221 350 with 245/265 tyres and A7 trans 35.8. Forgot CO2 figure.

Sorry couldn't access historical data for M112 3.2V6.

As you can see vehicle size and weight are not the controlling factor even when some acceleration is contained in the cycle.
CdA is the key. Coefficient of drag multiplied by frontal area.
Around town is another matter!
Note the difference tyre (width) makes = 2.5%

Since this discussion was based on constant speed the VCA figures may be SLIGHTLY down. 35 mpg(imp) / 28 mpg (US) is about the best that I would expect to be achieveable without environmental assistance.

Stuart

Old 09-15-2008, 09:09 AM

The pumps in the States are certified and posted as such-which means they are checked regularly for accuracy. You can look on the pumps themselves and see the last inspection date. And if you think they are off, you can call the governing agency. Like rolling back odometers, this type of shenanigan was shut down a long time ago. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would be rare and/or very unusual. .

To go from 28mpg to 35mpg with "nature" would mean what, a 70+mph tail wind pushing you?
Kevin

Quick Reply: Avg. MPG