Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97E320 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Default 97E320 Check Engine Light

Hi,I am New to the forums and first would like to say hi to all...So this will be a Little Long...I have a 97 E320 I am 17 now and I have had it since I was 16 as a first car...And Recentley I brought the car to the dealer to get my brakes done and they said I needed a new Radiator,So Shortly after that when I would turn my AC and would be at a stop light the car would stumble in Idle Nearly cutting off..And when I would turn the AC off it would run fine.Soo Today it started to stumble some more and then stopped then like 20 min my check Engine light came on and then it started to stumble alot so I had to gas it in order to keep going,and since then my check engine light has been on...Can someone help me please cus im really flapping in the wind here could it be my radiator or something more serious? THanks Guys I Appreciate It.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Default RE: 97E320 Check Engine Light

Hi,
Welcome.

From yourdescription it could be all sorts of things.

First step is to get the OBD On Board Diagnostic codes read.

Once you have codes like P0130 come back and we will try to help further.

Vehicle history is also very helpful in problem diagnosis.

Stuart

Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Interesting, I have the same problem on my 1995 E320. With the climate control on, engine hot, I try to accelerate from a dead stop and I have no throttle responce. Turn off the climate control, and it takes off.I never get a check engine light. I have been working on this problem for over a year. I have changed the engine management computer, no change. ?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 AM

Hi Sailing,

Engine HOT or just NORMAL temp?

NO throttle response or just poor throttle response but with Air Con OFF throttle response is OK

Everything else OK?

Suggest you see if any codes are stored?

Very interesting.

The air con is linked into the EMS (i.e. to respond to a critical cooling situation, to provide max power for acceleration on 100% throttle etc.,,usually only on small engines where air con power consumption represents a significant proportion of the available power) but I can't trhink why you should be having this symptom?

Stuart

Old 06-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Problems always occure with the engine at normal operating temperature.
With the climate control ON and the engine at normal idle speed I try to accelerate, Always there is a hesitation and a delay between pushing on the accelerator and getting engine RPM's. With the climate control in EC or off no hesitation.Intermittantly with the climate control on I will try to accelerate and have no throttle I can push it to the floor, pump it and nothing I hit the EC button and it takes off normally. So, now when ever i try to merge into a busy street i first put it in EC mode.
My mechanic has tried to find any codes but none show up. My year has a little box in the engine compartment whereI can read the codes but there is nothing there unlessI get a check engine light. Otherwise the car is running fine.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

So we are aligned on the problem.
Clarification please. Is your engine an M112 V6. I expect so.

If the problem occurred without the AirCon on/off data then I could make numerous suggestions.

I'll have a bit of a think over this. Interesting indeed.

You state that codes have only been present when the CEL is illuminated. Fine. So what codes were displayed and what was done to correct the fault when the CEL did illuminate?. Just a reset (clear code) or some component changed. I ask since this might just add that bit of missing data....or are you referring to some time ago long before your current problem.

My "gut" feeling is that the EMS module is faulty BUT I don't usually even consider this as a possibilty. So maybe it is a connection to the EMS that is at fault.

The biggest conflict is that the EA (Electroniuc Accelerator...no mechanical connection to engine...I assume although I'm not familiar with your model) sometimes works and other times not INFLUENCED by the AirCon signal.

OK. I'll go with corrosion across the EMS pins due to water ingress at some point into the "black box" at therear of the engine bay BUT this is a looong shot. The connector is about the only point where the "wiring" comes together.

95 and USA also make me think of perished insulation on the engine harness.

Stuart.