Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'88 300E Oil Pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Default '88 300E Oil Pressure problem

I have looked through many of your posts for oil pressure problems but nothing quite fits my symptoms, so here's the story...........

I have recently bought a 1988 300E, it has been garaged its entire life with the exception of being on the car dealers lots for a few weeks - It has been well maintained and is in like new condition, 230K miles on it, but may not be actual - Engine runs great, no knocks, pings or misses - As this is my first MB, not sure what to make of this oil pressure problem - When the car is first started, the oil pressure is running about 1.5 at idle speed in park, however, once the car is being driven, the pressure spikes and stays @ 3 even at 25 mph, - Since the car ran so well, I originally thought it may have just been a faulty oil pressure gauge or sensor so - Last weekend, the family and I drove to the beach for the weekend, 2 hr drive there, spent overnight and drove home the next morning, about 30 mins from home the oil light came on and I was missing a quart of oil, I do see evidence of oil being blown out under the car though and Imnot exactly sure from where

So that rules out the faulty gauge\ sensor theory - Any ideas on what the possible causes could be?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Default RE: '88 300E Oil Pressure problem

Everything sounds normal. At idle the oil pressure should be in the middle of the gauge and it is. While driving it should peg out and it does. It sounds like you have no oil pressure problem.

Oil level is something else. You are likely losing oil through a front or back seal or maybe through the valve guides. If the car smokes a bit at start up and then stops doing it very quickly you have worn valve guides. These are not cheap to repair.

If it is a seal (and at that type of miles it likely is) then go to an Autozone or someplace like it and get some oil seal sweller. Describe your problem and they will know what you need. This stuff is very cheap.

The best cure is to have your front and rear seal replaced. This cost quite a bit of cash. Putting in sealer and checking your oil is a lot cheaper.

The seals will have to be replaced someday so start saving up. The seals are ccheap; the labor is high. Do not try this yourself as a number of special tools are necessary.

The front seal will be much cheaper than the rear.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

Sam