Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300E LPG Turbo Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM

After reading the IM/intercooler "kit" pricing this link below & consdiering I have no welding experience at all, yet alone mig/tig. Not sure I am necessarily getting ripped off. Especially since this is a 1 off custom job!?

Having a reality check on the workmanship I am getting done & comparing it to the Ford XR6 kits along with considering they still have be installed = labour, coupled with fact the workshop prices are always less!

Maybe this is what is charged if you don't/can't DIY?

http://www.bptmotorsport.com/xr6_tur...ler-piping.htm

Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Had it out with workshop yesterday afternoon. Finally the running gear is in & they've given me an official costing per item/labour for the work including work already done. Every part on the list was now more expensive than first quoted at the end of last year, which was already more than initial quoting back around mid year. Put simply. They want approx $1k more for the parts!

What this amounts to is too much for the job @ hand. But the main point here is inconsistency with quotes anyway. There obviously getting @ me. After all the fark around now this.......well, this was the straw that broke the camels back!

Imho there aint no way this car is worth this much hassle & expense! So, I am now awaiting another quote just to get the friggin car running on LPG, as was originally but, NA. Turboless!!! The inlet plenum will be utilised with the mixer as I'm already committed to it's build (yeah $1200 for nothing). LPG re-configured to work reliably. New exhaust system. 2" I suppose? Whatever it takes to get the ***** on the road & registered.

In the end I guess at least I have a low mileage 300E on LPG with recent paintwork, low mileage engine, rebuilt & modified running gear & all engine bay parts etc. Not my dream build, but hassle-free for the unforeseeable future...........not alot for the over $15k it will have cost me by the time I bring it home, although this includes $6500 being original vehicle purchase price so, $8500 I guess for all the work to get this sucker back on the road! Then I have the wheels/tyres or brake upgrade to do but I'll sort all that.

Considering the Merc's I can land nowdays for similar money as what I will have spent on this 300E, this has definitely been a low point in my life & one I want closure with.

Can't blame the car when, it arrived in the condition it did & a choice was forced onto me to either dump it or try & salvage it. Then, ideas op up & you trust it to a loser of a workshop.......rest is history!

thanks guys for all the support & I wish it had ended on a more positive note with a HP Merc on the road. Now it's a **** machine & I gotta move on from here........

Tim

Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 PM

Yeah it does haha.....I think? Well. Had a small win today. Just got off phone from workshop & they are going to use the turbo I'd payed $2100 for back many months ago so, that's back to me as credit!

The problem now is the $4k I payed them months back ($2100 for the turbo was included in that) in progress payments to keep the ball rolling. So with just a quick recap on work done:

a) Engine block tapped (turbo oil return), then fitted along with engine access' & also running gear fitted = $1k tops?

& work to be done in the next month (hopefully) to get it registered:

b) New full exhaust system = $5-600?
c) LPG set up including new mixer & condenser = $1k tops?
d) Custom inlet manifold & fitting with mixer etc = $1.4k tops?
e) Tune = $?

So that's $4k already really........@ least I owe them nothing if this is about right for costing

I will be speaking with them again end of next week so I'll know better how it's all coming along

Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 AM

aarrrrrgggggg!!!!

couldn't take it anymore Spoke again with workshop. Discussed another option to get this car BOOSTED!!!! Seriously, I can't handle the turd NA! I would sell it to a gay boy & buy a friggin worked Ford XR6 actually in all honesty I have a sore friekin neck from sitting on both Carsales & EGay searching out Aussie muscle BA XR6's & XR8's .....................then..........I had to go to workshop to pick up some screws I need for my MX6 interior (mistakenly taken along with nuts/washers/bolts for the Merc) &.......looked HARD @ the ol' beast one last time before contemplating pissin it off to a new owner I'd had enough of the workshop expense bull****!

So, says I, what can be done to get the bassad boosted, forgetting the insane expense of the EFI & just going with the already installed LPG? Even a 2nd hand Garrett for now? I don't care! Use the old intercooler & piping etc...

So. Here it is! A couple of weeks & hopefully the little bugger will be ready to take down & register. Then, either I have the turbo work completed or I do it myself. Either way it will be boosted haha I'll work out the details after it's on the road legally. First things first!

Basically it will come home stock LPG (all refurbished up & nice) with the custom plenum & TB (this will be used later for boosting = no waste of $$$'s) & just a 2nd hand zorst system & whatever bull****'s needed to get it on the road, @ least it'll be economical & different again
sigh*.................

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM

I don't think it would be much different concerning getting the tune/boost right on a turbo set up. I don't think tune is the biggest issue @ this point. More simply getting the LPG set up right. I'm opting to use a better MSD timing computer than the onne it had originally. It was for a V8 so, not really efficient for a six. The custom plenum inlet manifold will complement the LPG set up for sure as opposed to the stock dry type inlet.

Tbo. I've never been keen on supercharging due to the level of stress they put on engine internals. The tolerance would be so fine with even the M103 engine I reckon. I wouldn't feel confident if you know what I mean? Also the fact they use power to make power whereas turbocharging uses spent gases. I just always preferred turbocharging due to it's efficiency characteristics. I think a supercharger set up would involve more dollars too somehow.....

Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 PM

Anyone know if a Ford XR6T diff will fit our w124's, 300E to be specific. Even a Commodore diff as they use Opel stuff, ie: German stuff. Explains the similar rear ends & tailshafts/flex plates too. I can get my hands on a serviced Ford one right now is the reason I'm keen for info.

Heres a link below. Looks bloody close? What if you used the Ford axle shafts? Or tailshaft too?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by BAD300; 02-22-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Left the XR6T diff for the moment. Money better spent for immediate needs. Will be looking more into it though when the time comes that's for sure.

Looks like car won't be too long now before I can retrieve it from the infamous workshop Throttle body is being fitted to custom inlet plenum then, off to the powder-coaters for a nice matt/satin black, to give it a stealth look from the jerks in blue here. This will go for all go-fast bits inc IC piping I should here from them in about a week, prolly longer with their track record lol. Anyway, progress all the same!

Been looking into twin scroll hot sides & zorst mani's yesterday & today. As long as the workshop takes back the GT35R that they said they had a buyer for, I will most likely be getting the smaller, better adapted for my driving needs, GT3071R. This turbo has a smaller comp wheel but good turbine efficiency (basically the size ratio between the comp wheel diameter & turbine wheel diameter). I've got a supplier emailing the states for a twin scroll t3 or 4 flange zorst housing to mate to the GT30 guts. Will prolly go with the billet wheel & ceramic bearings, as with the previous GT35R I bought. Will be using the smaller hotside trim to to aid in spooling. The billet wheel will spool better too & being twin scroll, along with the twin scroll manifold, will make use of the pulse cycle of the exhaust valves = very Also, using a twin scroll, because you split the hotside flange diameter in half (split pulse), you can go bigger on the hotside A/R hehe

I kinda envisage mating the older twin turbo philosophy with a modern single turbo. Gain the low-end pick up whilst still having good mid to top power using the twin scroll design. This allows better scavenging of zorst gases & better efficiency/economy. Something I've always been about from the start!

I'm determined to get this 300E up & off it's *** swiftly. Doing all work myself except for fabrication work. Spending $$$'s on low-down performance rather than HP figures. I want the best 0-60 time I can possibly get on this dinosaur LPG set up. WHo knows, may be a fun thing when it's finished?

My only dilemma timewise is I may have to shelve the actual fitment til' I move in about a year or so up to Queensland, where I'll have to get another RWC see? I may do the fab work & stuff in the meantime to keep the project going along @ some pace.

May even position the turbo 'underneath' the zorst manifold to hide it from view as opposed to on top as before? Hmmmmm........

Old 04-15-2011, 04:51 PM

well............just under a month & a half to finish the custom inlet manifold, hone out & re-jet the throttle body and re-route the cable & make a custom bracket etc///////.....not bad for an a-hole workshop ha?

I'm stuck with the GT35 turbo for now. They never sold it off.....

So......as it stands, car will be arriving home on flatbed somewhere around lunchtime here today. The beast comes back haha

So now begins the pita work here @ home for me. Alot of ****ling things to sort from here. Basically I want to do things step by step. First gimee an exhaust system up using stock manifolds. Next, purchase & fit a new LPG evaporator. Then, re-connect all the gas lines same as they were prior to going to shop. Re-wire stuff in bay & sort the ignition system out. Replace any lines, vac etc. Basically get it running!

Once it's up & running next is to swap out the front brake assemblies. Fit new springs & maybe shocks if they're stuffed?

Then move on to powder-coating the wheels & fitting new tyres. Then gimee guards, fit spacers, whatever it needs to get them to fit.

Fit the sound system and then go from there..........

Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 PM

Until I find my camera:

This Ford below uses a very similar inlet plenum to the one I had custom made only, mine has longer runners as I have more room in my bay due to right-side degree of tilt of engine :

This 2nd pic shows runners similar to mine:

3rd pic shows the trumpets (aka velocity stacks) as they sit inside the plenum. These produce more torque:

Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Lubed up the turbo bearings last night. Jockstraps @ old workshop aid turbo can sit for years with no worries. Bullshat! The shaft was just beginning to stick when turning it so I sprayed WD40 down the oil return hole, swishing it around the whole case, upside down you name it. Repeated this about 6 times. Spins freely now for few revolutions by hand. Phew!!!!

God you gotta luv these workshop experts don't you?????? Why do they breathe our air

Transmission guy that rebuilt mine said it'll be OK sitting around.

New LPG workshop guy said engine should be OK so will comment back once I've turn it over a few times. The first time in 10 months Off to Autobarn this morning to grab some cheap engine oil to put in engine. I may pull the rocker cover off to oil the valve seals (if I can get to them properly). Gez this engine is clean. No sludge or burnt oil marks anywhere. I remember seeing condition of the bottom end when sump was off when they tapped the turbo drain line in the block. Very clean! Looking through intake ports the valves are nice & black. Plugs where clean as. A strange normal steel colour actually Wierd!

Also grabbing some degreaser & metho to flush the crap out of the intercooler.

Next will be to scrape the head manifold surfaces ready for new gaskets when time comes.

Quick Reply: 300E LPG Turbo Project