Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd opinion for 97 E320 Trans.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 02:30 AM
Default 2nd opinion for 97 E320 Trans.

I am a new member and I'd like to get your opinion on my '97 E320 with 65,000 miles on it. It had 2 problems. One for "Check engine electronics" light and trans shifts hard from 2 to 3, andhighgear is o.k. Dealer replaced air mass flow meter and they say that there is no stored codes for trans. problem. They are puzzled why there are no codes stored. They say that it's a guesswork? Theytried modulator valve, solinoids and suggest "transmission control module" without a conviction, $1,000 gamble. If it does not fix this problem, they recommend me replacing the transmission. Let me add another point here. When air mass meter was put in and all codes were reset, the car ran as smooth as new, but then it acted again Anyone had a similar problems? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.</P>

Silver1</P>

Old 03-17-2004, 11:22 AM

I have 97 e320 with 58,000 miles and I've been driving it for about 3 months with check engine light on. I got a free OBDII code reading at Autozone and it was P0410 (secondary air injection system malfunction). My car's drivability did not change at all and I knew from reading forum discussions that air injection system does not impact engine performance. Any way, I paid someone $100 to check it. he did not find anything, just replaced a fuse and reset it. The light reappeared three days later. I've read that these cars have a problem of carbon build up in the air injection system and that you can drive forever with itbut you may have to live with the check engine sign and may not be able to pass emission inspection. I am going to wait till July and then disconnectand connect a battery (after a few minutes ) and entera radio code that I will get from the dealer, then drive to the inspection station. That's my plan. I am suspicious that your dealer replaced air mass flow sensor eventhough there may not have beena codeerror associatedwith that.I had check engine light in my wife's Volvo. The code was Mass air flow sensor. We had it replaced (under extended warranty) and problem was solved. I suggest you go to Autozone and get OBDII reading. There are dozens of codes pointing to various systems, some more serious than others. As far as transmission, I would not do anythingexpect for replacing A/T fluid and filter as called for in the maintainance schedule and see if it helps. I don't have any problems from 2nd to 3d.Sometimes if I don't come to a complete stop and them begin toaccelerate, I can feel a slightgerk into 2nd ( I guess).There are no problemsfrom a stand still.Good luck!</P>

</P>

</P>

Old 04-08-2004, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the tip.</P>

I took my 97 E320 to a MB specialty shop and they diagnosed the problem as an internal trans. problem.Remanufactured transmission was installed by them and it works fine now</P>