Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Trans stuck in 2nd gear s500

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Default Trans stuck in 2nd gear s500

Hi everyone newbie to the forum.I need some help!!!I have a 2000 s500 that is in limp mode stuck in second gear.I got the car from a friend hoping to fix.When he owned it there was a fluid leak local shop said it was the electric conn. o-ring.They replaced it and it worked for some time.I replaced the plastic plate in the trans with all the connections and the electrical connector to the trans.Went for a test drive and it doesn't shift still.Service code is for input shaft/turbine sensor which was replaced.When code is cleared it comes back?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Hello, I have the same problem, The dealer told me it is the ECU and Conector. I checked the ecu and it was full of fluid. I cleaned it but it still doesnt work.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM

I have seen instances when the electrical plate or as you call it(plastic plate) get replaced it is not fully clipped onto the valve body. also make sure the shift valves that you take out are in correctly and dont have any dirt on them.

also when your tightening the electrical connector into the valve body if you tighten the 7mm nut to tight it will pop out of place and thus the electrical connection is not made correctly and you will get a limphome situation. the valve body will actually pop out of place and youll need to remove the pan and pull down the valve body again and recheck the plastic plate on the valve body especially where the connector is on the plastic plate it clips into place.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 PM

i have a 240 that i overhauled the transmission, replaced everything, circuit board also was replaced dealer item, well the car still was stuck on gear afterwards, MAKE SHURE UR FLASHING THE CAR WITH A STAR SCANNER OR RESETING IT BECAUSE THE COMPUTER STILL KEPT DOING THE SAME THING TILL I RESETED EVERYTHING, IT WORKED AWESOME

Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 AM

I have tried replacing speed sensor, connector, fluid, filter, coil packs, spark plugs, MAS sensor and I cleaned the Transmission ECU as it was full of oil. Do I have to replace the ECU at this point? and is there a way to reset the computer with out having to take it back to the dealer? -$$$$Thanks for your help

Old 06-26-2010, 09:17 AM

all of these problems could be a bad shifter assembly too. doesnt see what gear the shifter lever is in and will cause limphome.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 AM

I took out the gearbox yesterday and cleaned it with an electronic cleaner. As I shift it shows on the dashboard where it should be “p” for Park and “r” reverse D for drive but still the problem persists. I noticed yesterday the battery is spilling acid, would that be another issue? The dealer told me it was the ECU yesterday and that it was $1500.00 but I hear that in most cases it turns out to be something else. Should I just replace the Transmission ECU and stop being stubborn? Again thank you so much for your help.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 AM

if the dealer told you that it is the problem then they could be correct. but they will drive it to make sure it is fixed. if its not the fix then they wont return the car to you and they will try something else. ive seen plenty of trans control units go bad.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 AM

okay, I will do that. I will follow up and let you know. thanks again.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 PM

I took the car to a local shop.They did the relearn then found the connector to the module coroded after cleaning it the trans is shifting great now.On to fix the next problem...the power windows keep playing games!!!!They get part way up and stop so frustrating!

Quick Reply: Trans stuck in 2nd gear s500