Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 E320 Oil, Transmission Fluid, Spark Plugs... What's the trick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Default 1994 E320 Oil, Transmission Fluid, Spark Plugs... What's the trick?

Hi guys, I tried to search this forum but can't find any info on this stuff... I have 1994 E320 and I need to change automatic transmission fulid as well as engine oil. Dealer wants $300.00 just to change tranny fluid, saying it is 3 hours of labor. Why so much labor? Is there a trick? I thought it is regular tranny service... Also, can anyone tell me which are the BEST tranny fluids and engine oils for this car considering I live in Michigan where it is cold (preferably NON synthetic oils)? It is a straight 6 with 181K miles. And finally what are the OEM spark plugs for this one? I checked manuals, no info there...

BIG THANKS!!!!!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Default RE: 1994 E320 Oil, Transmission Fluid, Spark Plugs... What's the trick?

Oh just a quick thought, once I started this thread... Can anyone give me advices about carrying for this car? Something to watch for? Something to change before big problems occur? Any advice is appreciated. This is my 1-st Mercedes (I had Audi, Mitsubishi and Camaro before) and I LOVE IT!!! It has 181K but it looks and runs good.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Yours is the older four speed automatic transmission, which uses conventional ATF. Looks like the dealer quoted you on the W210, five speed transmission, which takes special fluid and more time for the change.

Time for an ATF change on your unit should be 1-1.5 hours, tops. Make sure the filter on the A/T is changed also. [Yes, Mercedes actually have a replaceable filter rather than the wire mesh screen used on many transmissions]. The filter and pan gasket are sold as a "kit". Your car also should have a drain plug on the torque converter; make sure the converter is drained [a new crush washer will be needed].

If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, find a good independent shop. Do not take the car to one of those "quick oil change" places for this work.

On your vintage car, a spec sheet for oils should have been included in the owner's manual. The engine is designed for conventional oils, and a switch to synthetic at this late date would not be a good idea as synthetic may cause leaks. Most independent shops that work on our cars prefer Valvoline, Castrol or Kendall oils, but any quality engine oil will be fine.

Spark plug type and gap should be listed in the "specifications" section of the manual. The plug should bethe BoschF8DC4, $1.56 ea. @ autohaus Arizona, or slightly more at your local parts outlet. Remember to install the plugs using a torque wrench as you are installing them into an aluminum alloy head.

Good luck,

JR

Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 PM

E Cls Owner, thanks a lot!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:36 AM

I have had a 94 e320 for quite some time now (Over 205K miles). This car is a great machine if you take care of it. The transmission job is pretty straight forward as E Cls described it. As for the plugs, I put Bosch Plat 4s and I also changed out the wire set (its 3 wires and 3 boots). You probably would also want to change out the fuel filter. It sits near the rear passenger side of the car next to the fuel pumps. It will be covered by a plastic cover. For the oil, I used Mobil 1. If you go to their website, they recommend 0w40 oil for that car. I use 10w40 synthetic. You can use 10w30 since you are in a colder climate.

Some problems this model gave me:
- AC Blower motor went out (seized). Simple yet time consuming work
- Fuel pump relay devolped corrosion and needed cleaning (fuel pump wont engage)
(It is behind the battery (green relay))
- water pump seal started leaking (very time consuming job)
- front control arm bushings wore out

The best part after all this...205k..100 MPH on the freeway without breaking a sweat.

Good luck.

j-mang