Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 300E 2.8 Not Starting

Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Noticed something else today that I hadn't before. Maybe it was too noisy around me, but today I noticed when i turned the key on after attempting to start yet again to no avail, there was an electronic buzzing noise coming from the intake side, and it stays buzzing as long as the key is on. I have tried tracking the noise down, but haven't got my hands on it yet. Does anyone else out there have the '93 300e and hear a buzzing near the intake with engine off but key on? I don't remember hearing it before, but wasn't really listening for a noise like that.

And to MB-TECH-38, what rotor? This is a distributor-less car as far as I know. It has 3 coils on top of the cam cover that control 2 cylinders each. If there is some other part somewhere, I would be interested in having that info. The way I checked to see if there was any spark was to take the 3 plugs and wires that could be moved and grounded them to the exhaust manifold. Like I said before, there is spark, just not like I would expect to see, but may just be the way this car works, I'm more used to my 88 Camaro with a CraneCams HI-6 Ignition Module and FireBall coil producing multiple 70k volts sparks per ignition, so I may be expecting to see too much.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 PM

Spark was off when I checked with a timing light, Cleaned cam sensor and retard connections, replaced timing chain tensioner, and car spun up faster and timing light showed fire on time. Took about 30 secs of cranking to get the car to start, but turns out the water pump is shot, the belt tensioner weak, and oil pressure gauge faulty. So back apart it came. Parts will take several days to get here, but hopefully this wraps up this repair job.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM

i have a 1993 mercedes 300E 2.8 i had to change the valve cover gaskit because i was getting oil pooling around the spark plugs i also changed the spark plugs. aftern that my car wouldnt start it turns over fine i replaced the plug wires and the 3 coils and still nothing just turns over i checked the spark and relized im only getting spark from the first coil nothing els is sparking im lost on what to do next. any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 AM

Braadstaan, start a new thread and keep it in this section, E Class, or try electrical section. That can be several different things and someone needs to walk you through how to test each possible scenario. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by john2plus8
Please check your cam timin, most likely this problem
Are you you referring to me or Braad? Mine was never that simple, and as for Braad, he shouldn't have touched the timing chain just to replace the valve cover gaskets. No need to what so ever.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by thauber
Alrighty, the timing chain is broke. I'm guessing the stress from major overheating and then being put back on and snugged back up was too much. So, next question would be, how do I align the camshafts to match crankshaft TDC? Never had to do a new one on a DOHC, only take off and put back on, and then all you do is make sure it goes back exact same. Any help would be awesome, and if you know of a place I can purchase a down-loadable service manual, that would be awesome also. I have spent hours on MB forums, and can't find what I need to match my make and model.

Again, its a - 1993 300e 2.8l I6 Gas M104.942 W124.028

Thanks for any and all help.
Most of the time if a car overheats, the head gasket blows, if that happens their might be water on your piston witch I think can also cause engine not starting. You can check this by taking each plug out(on cylinder head) and see if they are wet(water). If that's the case, you need to get your head scheemed and have to replase head gasket, while you at it, see if your pistons did not fri. If there is fuel on you plug points, it means your engine is flooding-which is a fuel problem.(Just another option)Do yourself a favour, when your finished, replase the thermostat at radiator.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Noticed something else today that I hadn't before. Maybe it was too noisy around me, but today I noticed when i turned the key on after attempting to start yet again to no avail, there was an electronic buzzing noise coming from the intake side, and it stays buzzing as long as the key is on. I have tried tracking the noise down, but haven't got my hands on it yet. Does anyone else out there have the '93 300e and hear a buzzing near the intake with engine off but key on? I don't remember hearing it before, but wasn't really listening for a noise like that.

And to MB-TECH-38, what rotor? This is a distributor-less car as far as I know. It has 3 coils on top of the cam cover that control 2 cylinders each. If there is some other part somewhere, I would be interested in having that info. The way I checked to see if there was any spark was to take the 3 plugs and wires that could be moved and grounded them to the exhaust manifold. Like I said before, there is spark, just not like I would expect to see, but may just be the way this car works, I'm more used to my 88 Camaro with a CraneCams HI-6 Ignition Module and FireBall coil producing multiple 70k volts sparks per ignition, so I may be expecting to see too much.
Hi, that noise you hear might be your fuel distributor, should be on top of your air intake, just under your filter-all injektor pipes runs from this to your cylinder head

Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM

I recently pulled the head on my wifes car to replace a leaking head gasket after it overheated. Put everything back together and it won't start. It just rolls over and over. Pulled the number one plug and there was gas present, so i shorted it out to the exhaust manifold and saw sparks. But they weren't good sparks, like not even. Could it be the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors? And is there any way to test these other than paying $150 a pop to change them out?
When last did you change the plugs...it can also be the plugwires that's old?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Migael, thanks for imput but this thread is over a year old. Someone posted on it asking a question about their car rather than starting a new thread. I have LONG ago rebuilt my car.