Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 300E 2.8 Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Default 1993 300E 2.8 Not Starting

I recently pulled the head on my wifes car to replace a leaking head gasket after it overheated. Put everything back together and it won't start. It just rolls over and over. Pulled the number one plug and there was gas present, so i shorted it out to the exhaust manifold and saw sparks. But they weren't good sparks, like not even. Could it be the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors? And is there any way to test these other than paying $150 a pop to change them out?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Default no start

do you have a timing problem ??
check cam timing

Jerry

Old 03-12-2010, 05:26 PM

timing looks spot on, but it just won't start. Wish they hadn't gone so far out with electronics on cars before OBD2. Makes trouble shooting a real pain and expensive replacing parts trying to find which sensor cooked.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 PM

can you see if you have spark going into cap, these 6 cylinders did have problems with the IGN. rotors. if you have any spark like you stated it won't be a crank sensor. see if you have better spark from the wire going into the cap

Jerry

Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM

I'll check that about the spark, but one thing I might not have expressed enough is that the car overheated. And I mean it really overheated. It melted part of the oil level sending unit to the point oil was coming through it, and the plastic caps on the ends of the oil filter had melted into the pleats of the filter. It got real hot. So that is why I was asking about testing those sensors, but if because I am getting spark it takes them out of the equation, then any other ideas would be awesome.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 AM

Alrighty, the timing chain is broke. I'm guessing the stress from major overheating and then being put back on and snugged back up was too much. So, next question would be, how do I align the camshafts to match crankshaft TDC? Never had to do a new one on a DOHC, only take off and put back on, and then all you do is make sure it goes back exact same. Any help would be awesome, and if you know of a place I can purchase a down-loadable service manual, that would be awesome also. I have spent hours on MB forums, and can't find what I need to match my make and model.

Again, its a - 1993 300e 2.8l I6 Gas M104.942 W124.028

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Mybe it's the fuel pump wire? similar thing happened to me, only while I was driving... anyways, thats what they replaced when i brought it in.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:03 PM

No seefood, it was getting fuel delivered to the cylinders. But I have had to replace the fuel pump relay on that car before.

Alrighty, found this manual for W124 cars on another forum. This gives some excellent information and is easy to navigate.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...op-manual.html

Chain is on and timing is perfect, now just to put everything back together and see if she starts. Fingers crossed.

But one more thing, when it overheated, it also blew the smog pump hose off under the car. I reattached it and didnt think anymore of it. But is it even a little possible I might have a blocked catalytic converter? Has anyone ever run into this and is there a way to check without cutting it off?

Last edited by thauber; 03-21-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 PM

I ran across another interesting thing while i was looking around after putting the intake on. What I believe to be the knock sensor on the drivers side of the engine has almost all the plastic broken and or melted off of it. How can go about checking to see if its still good, and would that keep the car from starting? Im sure there should be an ohm reading i can get of it, but don't know what range is acceptable.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Alrigh, there is air coming into the intake, gas being delivered to cylinders, spark for sure on the number one cylinder and fixing to check the two others I know I can check, and exhaust leaving the tail pipes, but still not starting. No error codes on comp except for an old airbag and a/c ones that were on it 2 years ago when I got the car. So where do I go from here? Only a couple more days of this crap and I'll start parting the car out. I have been having to rely on my '88 Camaro with 340k miles on it, and I never had these kinds of problems. Even after it sat up for 4 years, I threw in a new battery and started it right up. Gots to love the old cars.

Quick Reply: 1993 300E 2.8 Not Starting