Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

190e starts and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Default 190e starts and stalls

ok got this car in the shop about 2-1/2 weeks ago
this is what we know so far
4cyl 2.4
great fuel press
good plugs good wires
sprayed and smoke tested for vac leaks/ no leaks
checked the sensors on the injection housing / both good
cleaned the injection housing reassembled and still same problem
this car has me stuck im not sure what else to check fuel press is above 5 bar on the high side and around 3.5 on the low side fuel press stays in spec but car will start and runs for a second then dies
did some minor adjustments on the tower and yea nothing no change .

losing money on this car got hours and hours in it and have thrown parts at it left and right to test things and to no avail . how ever this may help it will run if you spray it and keep your foot in it above 3k rpm

any help would be great

Michael

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 10-06-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM

I honestly can't tell you, but when you say "spray it", do you mean with ether? If so, it must be something fuel.

Are you sure you have a good fuel filter? The fuel pump running? Have you tried pulling the FPR and jumping the connector so the fuel pump always runs?

Do you have a cel or any other idiot light? Have you checked the OVP fuse with a meter? Have you checked to make sure the OVP is allowing current to the FPR control?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 AM

New fuel filter new fuel press regulator pumps are working with in spec 5.5 bar press at the injector housing . starts stalls and yes if either is added its rill run longer then a second enough for you to put your foot on the gas and will stay running as long as its over 3k rpm . i can jump a few wires like you said and see what that changes . bout to give up on the car its older (93 year) and no cel as of now

Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 AM

update
as of today fuel press drops off after 15min from 40 psi to 25 after 15 min and down to 6psi after 45 min w/ engine off key off after key on for 30 seconds to build press . Going to replce acumulator and see what happens / as well as wire the pumps to run constant . i know this is a fuel issue , im surprised its taking this long and so is the customer

Last edited by Uptown_imports; 10-07-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM

My 126 had a different but similar problem. I had three problems all at once.

1) Idle air valve - causing high idle
2) Air manifold hoses - causing an even higher idle
3) EZL - car would die after about a minute or less of the high idle, but seemed to run on ether. I was completely confused, because it would run on ether, maybe dieseling? I borrowed OVP, FPR, ICV, Ignition box, etc, and nothing helped. I jumped wires, read duty cycles, etc. Somebody on another board suggested the EZL. That fixed the dieing issue.

So, it <may> be the EZL, I don't know. I do have a spare 4 zyl Siemens 005 545 32 32 EZL. If that's the same number as yours, I have no problem sending it to you to try, and if it works, then we'll figure out how much it's worth. If it doesn't work, send it back

I also have a spare jetronic computer, 006 545 80 32. Same deal.

If you try everything else, and you want to try either or both of these, let's agree on a cost if they work. If not, that's ok too. Somebody helped me out like this so I am offering the same.

FWIW, I also have a spare FPR (KPR) 003 545 01 05. This was for a 126, but may be the same as the 201 in question.

All are known fully functional.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM

well came in this morning and tried a few more things to no avail , then started checking the bosch injector lines one by one and sure enough cyl 3-4 no press off the distributor cyl 1-2 great preasure. and cold injector great but nothing off 3-4 im leaning more to a distributor replace ment seeing how everything electricly tests good including the elec/hydro at 20/ma brand new is not an option with this car with the part costing us almost 900.00 bones found a few used ones online for 120 seems like a more affordable for the customer . going to be calling him here in a few with the news and an update at where we are at. I thank you for your help WAYBOMB its been helpfull if you have any other thoughts feel free to share em

Michael LaRiviere "Uptown Imports-Charlotte NC"