Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 E350 w/vibration at extreme steering lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Default 06 E350 w/vibration at extreme steering lock

Hi Gang,
I haven't been on this forum for a long time but I recently bought a 2006 E350AWD and a problem has developed, I think. A couple of days after we accepted this car we noticed a bumpy feeling when the steering is turned to either extreme.
So I took it to a local suspension/chassis shop I have used in the past who have a great reputation for being very professional and thorough and had them take a look.
The shop owner took it for a test drive and drove it onto the lift. He and a tech looked over the car and after an hour or so declared they could not find any obvious problem. They noted the front axles were new BTW.
He said there were 2 options; 1st, start taking things apart looking for a problem, which can possibly go down the wrong path and cost a lot of money and 2nd, we can wait and see if it gets worse and take another look then.
I thought waiting was the route to take.
My question is this, would a problem inside the steering gear sound like this? They looked at the tie rods, steering arms and other front suspension parts but, no problem. Again, it only happens at either end of the steering range and driving down the interstate there is nothing but smoothness and quiet. But turning into a parking space the rumbling "feel' through the steering wheel is felt.
Has anyone run into this?
Thanks!
LarryT
91 300D (RIP)
06 E350 AWD

Last edited by Larry Turner Sr; 12-23-2017 at 08:16 AM.