Mercedes CLS Class CLS500 Coupe.

Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Default Transmission issues?

I took delivery of my CLS500 back in May05 and have been having transmission issues since then that MB have so far been unable to fix. From 1st into 2nd, 2nd into 3rd, 3rd down to 2nd, and 2nd down to 1st, it's very jerky/hard/thuds like crazy.

All they've been able to do for me each time the car goes into the shop is tell me that the computer detected that certain parameters were outside of the usual limits and they reset it...just like when they do a service and reset so that the computer relearns...within a few days I'm back to the same place I started...a horribly rough transmission.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was MB able to do for you?

Thanks,

-Darryl

Old 03-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmission issues?

ask them to do the adaptation after resetting the values.

certain parameters must be followed to store it in memory such as: RPM (not more than 2000 form 1st to 4th), gear change (1-2 2-1 1-2-3 -3-2-1, etc).

Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 PM

Can you explain or point me at something that explains "adaptation"?

Thanks!

-Darryl

Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 PM

Your dealer has a service bulletin on this problem, your car was built early. Benz has a new valve body and software to take care of harsh shift qualities. If the adaptation of your trans is going out of range then there is a clip on a clutch pack in your trans loose. I've put them in and it will fix your transmission, hopefully all you need is the valvebody and software and an adaptation. Don't let the dealership tell you different. They will have to call EDAC and get authorization, so far I've had no problem getting them to release the parts to the dealership I work at.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 PM

Oh, by the way, adaptation is the way your trans computer adjusts to even out any looseness or tightness in the clutches of your transmission. It also optimizes the shifting for the way you drive.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the response.

Is there a reference # on the service bullentin that you can provide? The dealer has talked to the EDAC and will be looking at my car again tomorrow. Based on training the lead mechanic just completed on the 7-speed and conversations he had with the EDAC last week, he knew to look at the valve body.

What do folks think about the long term effects of the harsh transmission? 10 months of mechanics fumbling and bumbling with this issue and not being able to fix it have me wondering what long term effects there could be.

I called MBUSA this morning to ask about why, if they clearly know about this issue if there's a service bulletin on it, they wouldn't proactively notify their dealers about the issue so they don't give customers the run-around (unintentionally) and inform owners to see their dealers and have their vehicles checked. MBUSA -- "no comment on info gleaned from the web". As to the question of long term effects MBUSA said "no comment...talk to your local service manager"

Thanks,

-Darryl

Old 03-28-2006, 09:48 PM

DTB - P-B_27.60/61c
DTB - P-B-27.60/53
These are the 2 bulletin #'s currently available for your car. It looks like MB has backed off the valve bodies and are leaning towards the internal mechanics , software upgrades, and adaptation. I know we have replaced quite a few of these valve bodies and flashed the software with good results, sometimes even without the adaptation, but most the time some adapting was needed.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Hello fellow CLS owners! This is my first post.

There has been issues with the earlier production of the CLS 7speed (as a matter of fact, my dealer tells me that most 7speeds have had problems).

I bought mine in 8/05 (production 7/05)and had the same problem you described. They initially reset the adaptive shifting thingamajiga twice (I think... I been in-out of the dealer so much, I don't remember) and changed the valve body and no luck. So, they put a new transmission twice! Not at separate times but my dealer got an authorization for one but the head service guy didn't like the way it shifted after the first one, so they ordered a second one. My car was at the dealer for 2weeks. It seemed a bit weird, but... What can I do.

Guess what!!? It still does the rough down-shift. Granted, not as much as before, but it's annoying.

I'm also curious as to what the long term effect would be because of this problem.

Also, since the adjustment/replacement of the transmission, it seems to shift a bit "looser"(Not as crisp as before. I don't mean to have the best of both worlds, but if I'm driving vigorously, it should shift crisp). Maybe it's my imagination that it's doing this. Can the dealer adjust the tranny to slip more because of my complaints? If this is the case, I would like to achieve a balance between the two, than make it slip and feel sloppy. It just feels like the tranny is hanging on between shifts.

Like I said, it could just be my mind playing games.

Just to let you know of my experiences... If anyone has any information about the second part of my post, pleas let me know.

Thank you!