Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Starting problems 2005 clk320

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Default Starting problems 2005 clk320

My 2005 clk320, convertible, started having starting problems about a year ago, winter of 2011.

I would turn the key and the engine would turn over maybe a 1/4 or an 1/8 revolution and then stop, or sometimes nothing but the electrical systems always turn on. At first I thought I had drained the battery, it sounded very much like a car that tries to start with a drained battery without enough energy to actully turn the engine over.

But I found the battery was fine and just turning the key off then back on again it would start fine. It did this 2-4 times a month for a month or two then it got worse to 3-4 times a week or even a couple of times one day. Though it would start up fine some days with out this happening.

I took it to a local shop that specialized in Mercedes, they couldn't find anything specifically wrong so I asked them to replace the starter motor.

The car started up great after they put the new starter motor in and it was fine for 8 months.

In August 20012, it started doing it again. I took it back and had some other work done (temperature in take sensor) and they replaced the starter motor since it was still under warranty.

Again the car started up great after the new starter motor was put in, that is till Monday when it started happening again.

I just can't believe I've gotten two new starter motors that are defective, yet each time they replace them the car starts every time you turn the key, for a time.

I will note the car does always start, you just have to turn the key off and back on again, it gets worse from a single time to as much as 3 times but it's always started, eventually and when it does it turn over, it sounds like its turning over very strongly and does not hesitate to start up and run.

Other side notes; One of the times when the car did not start on the first key turn but started on the second turn of the key, the Air conditioning turned on by its self when the engine started turning over. And I did have a radio problem about a year or two back, twice it happened and has not re appeared, the radio/cd player just quite while driving but stared working again after the car was turned off and re started.

Any suggestions or speculations?