Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Newbie that needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Default Newbie that needs some help

Hi all! I will inherit a 1999 CLK 430 very soon and wanted to know if this is a pretty decent car. I'm a Volkswagen owner that is completely clueless about the CLK. The car has 86K miles, very clean and had only one owner. What sort of things should I expect from this car? Any major problems or issues in previous or recent years? How is Mercedes Benz' record when it comes to high mileage? Will I be able to truly enjoy this car or will it live in the shop? I know maintanence is not cheap but this won't be too much of an issue since I don't have to make monthly payments on the car. Also how is the gas mileage? Any advice at all ? I know I have a ton of questions but I would like to know what I'm getting into with this car. Thank you in advance!

Old 12-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Default RE: Newbie that needs some help

Am a big fan of the CLK series...no doubt you'll enjoy yours...especially the approx 300HP that the 430 delivers....I have the 2001 CLK 430 since Oct '02 and have had no major issues and am at 70M miles....get hold of the owners manual/service book and be sure that routine services have been done....recommend the premium grade fuel and frequent oil changes....

Old 12-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Default RE: Newbie that needs some help

i have an 02 430 and love it. it's the best car i have ever owned. mercedes quality has gone down in the past 10 years. i believe it has more to do with the computer technology. if we can't keep our home computers running, how do you expect to keep the one in the car going long? i have not had any major issues. had to have the LED cluster replaced a couple of months ago. had to have the driver's seat leather fixed (it was coming apart at the seam). regular brake maintainence.....but knock on wood, no major mechanical problems. i have spoken to a few friends who have had major mechanical problems. maybe i have been lucky. they don't seem to make them like they did in the late '80's. my service advisor agrees with me on that one.

i suggest that you get a warranty as long as they offer if you can (mine is 6 years/ 100K miles). hopefully by the time it's up, i will be able to get an E55 or CL55. wish me luck with the lottery. those things are expensive.

and oh, get some good tires. i have the michelin PS2's. it makes a world of difference in the handling.