Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Hopefully a soon-to-be CLK owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Default Hopefully a soon-to-be CLK owner

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and don't really know too much about mercedes. I did some searching but didn't quite find what I waslooking for.
I'm looking at this 03 CLK 500 with good miles and options (Navi included) for the price. But I have noticed a few things on the car that concerns me.

1. the trunk seems to be up a little more on the passengers side near the tail light, but with a little force you canhold it down where it should be. They said this can be adjusted.

2. There is a knocking noise at the passerger front wheel when I hit bumps, maybe bushing, struts?

3. Navi system is asking for the CD, not sure if the CD is just gone, or cant read it?

4. Did a carfax, it doesn't show any accidents, but it had 3 owners.

Its at a Bentley dealer, but they also sell a lot of Porsche's and Mercedes, they told me they would look at these things, but can I trust them to honestly tell me whats wrong, or should I see if they let me take it to an indy mercedes shop to get checked out?

Sorry for making my first post so long.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Default RE: Hopefully a soon-to-be CLK owner

Sorry, I guess Ipostedtoo many questions at once, but what I really need to know is this.

Is it unheard of to ask a big dealership to take a car off their lot, and have a pre purchase inspection done somewhere else? I really want to do this now since I'v been reading about these trans failures due to coolant getting into the gearbox.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM

sounds like it's a problem from the start.. did you go to www.cars.com and see what's up in your area? it might be worth the hastle to just get another one with no problems from the start hehe kinda like a woman.. hahahahaha

Old 03-03-2008, 04:20 PM

I did have a look around, but I couldn't find any around that had navigation, and all the other options this one has.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

1) The trunk can be adjusted, but you must wonder how it got that way. Look under the mat in the trunk, and under the car for collision repair work.

Three owners in five years is strange. The car will last a person through an entire lifetime if kept up, so why so many trades?

2) Yes, knock is likely strut or link, but once again, my 2000 CLKhas 200k miles and the struts and links do not knock.

3) If the Navi sys is not in full working order when you leave the lot, you will have to repair/reload it at your expense, assuming it still works.

4) If the body was repaired at a backyard shop or other, any damage may not have been reported to carfax.

5) No. It is not their responsibilty to find things wrong and inform you. Their only responsibility is not to misrepresent the vehicle in writing. It will be your responsibility to determine the condition of the vehicle for yourself, with the help of your advisors. Many High line dealers will not allow customers to have the cars tampered or inspected by other people, and for obvious reasons. It has become a problem thatsome people steal parts from the cars, so many dealers will not allow high line cars out of the sight of their agent, and this is understandable and even advisable when you sell your own cars. You may bring a mechanic or body repair expert onto the lot to evaluate the car. This should not be a problem.

Blue

Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM

if this is a w208 you are looking at, you should also check to make sure ALL sunroof positions work PROPERLY. check to make sure both front seats are working PROPERLY IN EVERY position.
be sure that both windows also go up and down smoothly and with ease as it costs $300 or more to replace a regulator.

i've noticed that these things commonly go wrong.

ps. also my headliner on the sunroof is peeling off due to "heat" damage, says the local MB authorized dealership but ALWAYS get a second, third or fourth opinion. the whole inside part of the sunroof (just the panel you slide back an forth with your hand) is $500 to replace

Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM

walk away....be patient....you will find her

ps where are you and what is your price range...i will help you look if you want...looked for four years before i found THE ONE....pretty good at it by now