Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

Ash tray door and external mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Question Ash tray door and external mirrors

I`m not sure how to resolve the below listed problems due to the new ownership of this vehicle, a 2002 430CLK Cabriolet with 54000 miles I have read the owners manual with no results. My two issues that I cannot resolve are: (1)When I go to close the ash tray door, it will not close. There is nothing that is in the way that would cause this.
(2) When I put the gear shift in reverse, and when I select the external mirrors on either side, the mirrors do not reflect downwards. Is this a fuse problem?
If anyone has information as to why these things are happening I would really appreciate the help.

Last edited by joe d; 03-01-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM

ill try to help you. the mirror parking aid setting....put car in R then use the mirror control to set the mirror where you want it to look on the road for parallel parking. then push the Memory button for your power seats. if it doesnt work in R try doing it in P. one or the other will work. after you put car into D the mirror will or should go back up to normal driving position....might take 10 seconds to move back after shifting into D. then try going back into R and the mirror should go back to the curb where you set it. like i said if it doesnt work pressing the Memory button in R try doing the procedure in P. car should be running while doing this. I have seen cases where the feature will have problems and will go down for parking but wont go back up. problem could be something else but try setting the memory first to see if it works.
the ashtray does come out without much trouble, remove wood around the shifter area. pull up firmly from the front...by the ashtry door and lift hard..the wood will pop up. then you can get the ashtray out...2 screws i think.and 2 little clips that you bend bacward to lift out ashtray. usually something is jammed in there like a business card or coins. but the hinges do break and could be the problem too.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 PM

Hi Chassis 221.
Thanks to you.. I was able to close the ash tray door. Still trying to resolve the external mirror issue. I tried to get the external mirror to deflect downward when in reverse and the memory set but, had no success. I need to work on it some more, and also to understand the memory system. I will let you know if I resolve this issue.
Joe D

Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Hi chassis 221,

A few words to let you know that I still have not resolved the mirror issue. I believe it is the way the memory is being set. I do get movement downward of the mirror in R when I select memory #2. The seats also go to a different position. I then adjust mirror and the seats where I want them to be and then hit the green memory button but when I put the car into D, it just stays down. I think I need to become more familiar with the memory system, unless something else is wrong. What do you think it could be?

Joe D

Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Default External mirrors

Dear Chassis 221,

After doing additional research, I have come to the conclusion that the drivers external mirror does not point downward in reverse, only the passenger side external mirror points downward to assist in parking. This is a feature on the vehicle.

Thanks for your help in resolving the ash tray door.

Joe D

Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM

i was under the assumption that you already knew the driver mirror didnt go downward when reversing. so i guess your passenger mirror does work correctly?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Default Mirror memory

Dear Chassis 221
The mirror on the passenger side works perfectly. That is the way it`s supposed to work in accordance with the brochure. I did not know this when I originally posted. I`m learning about the car as I encounter specific issues. Thanks so much for your help.
I just noticed that the temperature is not showing,also the time appears to have part of the numbers missing. From reading other posts it appears that the LEDs`are defective. It also will costs a ton of money to repair. Do you have any suggestions?
joe d

joe d