Mercedes CLK Class Mercedes CLK350 and Mercedes CLK500 Coupes and Cabriolets.

03 CLK430 knock/click in dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Default 03 CLK430 knock/click in dash

I'm been suffereing this problem for a while now and the garage just can't seem to find or fix it.

Under certain conditions such as a bumpy road or when coming off a driveway or road to another road where there could be a change in height, we get a loud knock or 'click' coming from the right side of the interior of the car. I live in an old neighborhood where the streets aren't beautifully even so when driving around we often get this really annoying noise. It's been in the garage about 6 times to fix it and one time we thought they'd fix it when doing some bushing repair on the stearing column... but alas after a while it came back again.

The knock is pretty intermittent at times so you won't know if it's gone away or not, but recently it's now doing it a lot.

One of the mechanics mentioned that there's a bar running inside the dash from side to side and it's possible it could be that moving. Thoughts?

Annoyingly, everytime i've put the car in the dealer to get it fixed they have damaged the car in some way. Either wood trim gets damaged, leather gets damaged, they get grease on the leather or even scrape the wheels on a curb. So for every visit I have three more after to fix what they break and then fix what they break while they were fixing what they broke in the first place. So much for 'superior service'!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar things? Oh yes and of course this goes with the litany of failures, blown bulbs, seat gearing being replaced, new tires due to flat spots, sticky gas peddle, warning lights coming on unexpectedly, cd changer not being found when you start the car.... and on and on and on.. Not quite what I thought I was buying when I bought a Mercedes.

CH

Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 03 CLK430 knock/click in dash

sometimes the mounting on the hood hinges is also making a crackling sound which you might mistakenly hear somewhere on the inside A-pillar.

try listening to it again.