Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

Navigation...or lack thereof!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Default Navigation...or lack thereof!

Surely I'm not the only one that's run into this problem but I've searched a lot of these message boards and cant find too much info on my issue. I just bought my first Merc, a 2003 CL55 with 34,000 miles for under 40,000. So far I love it and sometimes drive it nowhere just to drive it, however, eventually I'm probably going to want to go places and use the navigation system. The problem is that it has the CD-based nav on it (and conveniently enough there was no bundle of 10 CD's with the car!) No big deal I thought if I'm planning to pull out the whole Command screen and controls and replace it with something all-in-one aftermarket (7" touchscreen Pioneer or Kenwood.) I know this could get expensive, so my question is this:

Has anyone with a pre-2004 CL (or any other similar CD-based nav system) been able to locate updated CD's? What years were they offered and how much were they? I've heard rumors from my MB tech that beginning of next year navtech is updating all of them, and even coming out with new CD's for guys like me...is this true? I've read on here that the constant changing out of 10 cd's is a hassle and many times things arent on their maps. With that said, has anyone changed out the whole thing with a DVD/Nav
double din unit? Obviously this requires some custom install but I'm curious to hear and see how it turned out and if you were happy with the look.

Sorry for the long post...any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Default RE: Navigation...or lack thereof!

You can find regional CDs on ebay. Your dealer will also sell you CDs but now, only the full USA/Canada kit, not individual CDs.
I use mine extensively along the eastern seaboard and Canada. The Canada disc is weird, the database is old, and barely useable.
I'm in New York and use a 2004 CD and it's till pretty good.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Default RE: Navigation...or lack thereof!

My latest update was a CD #1 (CA and NV) of "2007". Found it a few months ago on eBay but I agree it's hard to find, I need one more for my other MB. Got it at $100, I could bid lower but I absolutely wanted it!