Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

DISABLE TCP (Tire Pressure Control) PERMANENTLY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Default DISABLE TCP (Tire Pressure Control) PERMANENTLY?

I was hoping someone might know the answer. The dealers in San Diego refuse to disable the TCP system on my 2002 CL500 - they claim it's illegal (It's not - my car as a 2002, is not covered by the stupid Federal Rules).

I took the car to an independant dealer who hooked the car up to the computer and in two separate areas of the system put in a notation that the System was "Not Active".

The warnings that would come up while I drive are gone, but every time I start the car the display says: "Tire Pressure Control System inactive, Activate!" or something to that effect.

Does anyone care to give me a hint on how to kill the final warning message? Do I need to disconnect the module that is below the floor on the passenger side (I think?). Is there a THIRD place in the computer software that creates this start up warning message?

THANKS!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Default RE: DISABLE TCP (Tire Pressure Control) PERMANENTLY?

it has to be set to "inactive" or "not present" in the instument cluster and the EIS maybe also traction control or ESP maybe. you could try to unplug it too like you said.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks! I was watching the tech do the work on his computer - and those are the two areas where he set them to inactive and not present. Indeed, if I try and "reactivate" the TPC by pressing the reset button, it just goes back to the vehicle outline with no tire pressure listed. For whatever reason - there appears to be a THIRD location that needs to be set.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Having read that the fuse for the module needs to be pulled, and being unable to locate the rear fuse box to pull #70 (power to the Tire Pressure Control Module) - I simply UNPLUGGED the module.

Well.....there is no more TPC warning light.....now, it says: "Display Defective Visit Workshop".

So - unless I can figure this one out, I have my choice of warning lights each time I start the car - or I can pay $3,000 or $4,000 bucks for a system that doesn't work by design.

Frustrating.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM

you can also try the codingthe SAM units. front left and right and one in the rear.so EIS, cluster and SAM should be coded to inactive.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 AM

Thanks Chassis221 for the information. I don't know what the SAM is - and, unfortunately, the independent MB Mechanic I am using is from Vietnam, so we can't communicate that well, and every trip costs$75and I have to work on explaining everything to him. I'll check out SAM in the WIS, but if you get a chance to define SAM, I'd sure appreciate your input.

Thanks.

JCFox
2002 CL500