Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

CL 600 Brake Job. bad squealing, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Default CL 600 Brake Job. bad squealing, please help!

Hello MB family,

My '01 CL 600 (60K miles) started pulsating when braking at speed (from 70 or faster) so I decided to replace the front pads and rotors. I installed a new pair of Zimmerman drilled rotors and a set of Pagid pads and sensors I used some red anti-squeal goop. It squealed pretty bad, especially the fronts, just before coming to a full stop. I performed the recommended bedding-in procedure too. Pulsating went away, and the car is ultra smooth at speed. Of course, after 50 miles, the brake lining message came on and upon inspection, the rears needed new pads as well. I decided to order a set of EBC red (ceramic) pads for both front and rear, and installed them with a healthy coating of 3M silicone paste on the back of each pad. I originally had a set of EBC greenstuff pads, and never had a problem. They were also pretty quiet using the same 3M paste. Well, as soon as I backed out of the lift, I heard squealing up front and squeaking in the rears. I performed the recommended bedding-in procedure (drive to 40 mph, then brake easily and slowly to a stop, allow a minute cool down, and do this 5-10 times; progressively applying more pressure after every cycle). The squeaking in the rear seems to have disappeared, but the fronts still squeal just before a stop.

What did I do wrong? The ads said it was the quietest and cleanest street pad available. Do I need to change spring clips and pins too?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Default RE: CL 600 Brake Job. bad squealing, please help!

Did you try putting the pads at an angle on the rotor instead of vertical? I did that to a C280 and the squeaking went away.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 PM

How do I do that? there are pins that line up the pads and they only orient one way.

I called EBC and they had a pie chart that showed that 90 % of the time, squeals can be eliminated by shims and they would provide them free of charge. I have a set of shims from the last set so I'll clean those up and install them, see what happens.

Any other ideas?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Oh then it must be differnt breaks then. I dont know how its done on a CL600. I did have the sqeaking on my C280. Called the shop and they said thatI could tilt the breaks/pads. They are tilted on my E320 also(those never sqeak) I can give you picture if you need them to show?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM

If it's not a hassle, that would be great. Thanks.

I re-did the brakes again, installed shims over the goop on the back of the pads, then put goop (3M silicone paste) on top of that. Put goop wherever I thought vibration might be occuring, like spring clips, edges, pin-to-clip contact points. I cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner, wiped it down, and crossed my fingers. No squeal...for the first 5 miles. Then it started again! JeeZ! Frustrating as hell, Don't know what to do![]

Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 PM

Also try calling a Deale or independant shop and ask them what are the bst pads and rotors to use on your CL600.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

I have tried non-MB pads and had similar issues, so went back to using MB authentic pads.

If you are driving and braking hard, you may be "glazing" or "scotching" the pads.

Blue

Old 10-26-2008, 08:36 AM

That is my next move as I don't see any other options other than replacing the whole assembly.
I may try and overhaul the calipers and pistons while it's still not too cold.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Squeeling occurs when a pad is not used to the material or surface of the rotor. I own a cl600 and what i do is drive on the highway with the foot on the break as well as on the gas for 2 miles then let the break cool, then do it again a couple times. this creates a good surface to surface match and gets rid of squeeling for most parts.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:04 PM

Squeal is vibration. I can't imagine any modern pad set that don't come with shims. Are you sure you have the correct pads? I ordered pads first from Raybestos, supposedly fitting my cl55 and received pads that not only looked different, but there were only 4 pads and not eight. Next I found the listing for pagid. Although it said it fit and had the correct number of pads, they didn't look right. My jobber took the mercedes number and crossed it with his supplier and guess what? Different pads. The box says sl500. they were the right ones....
All of the sets of pagid pads had the clip on shims with them and they worked fine. No noise and easy to put in.

Mine are the large calipers, so don't know if the 600 has the same, but if it does, try that and see what happens.

Quick Reply: CL 600 Brake Job. bad squealing, please help!