Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers only work when car gets to 5mph?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Default Wipers only work when car gets to 5mph?!?

Hi
I just got a 2003 C320 that needed repair work. The body work is done and everything damaged replaced.
The entire car repainted-but the shop disconnected the battery- the car needed to be re-initialized at the dealer since it wouldn't start afterwards...)

But some quirky things still need troubleshooting.
The wipers don't respond to the switch unless the car is well in motion-- obviously not an intendedmercedes feature. (anyone had a similar failure?)
The windshield washer doesn't spray either- I'll be checking connections and motor (snowstorm and cold out there now).
I have an OBD II instrument and will see if it detects any errors.(once snow lets up).
Thanks for reading..
Joe

Old 12-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Default RE: Wipers only work when car gets to 5mph?!?

joe, this car must have all modules coding checked after power loss. take it to someone who has an SDS diagnostic tool for this.
i have bad switches and such but no need to buy parts when you could just have a coding issue.
control modules can get "stuck on stupid" when batteries get disconnected.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Default RE: Wipers only work when car gets to 5mph?!?

Thanks braucher1!
When I asked again---the mechanic told me they didn't use SDSdiag tool, but will do itwhen I can get car back to them(next few days).
Will post results......
Joe

Old 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Wipers only work when car gets to 5mph?!?-found prob-all C-class

Hi
Following repairs a "to-do" item to fix was ---The hood switch did not engage properly and some adjustment of the hood was yetto be done.
When we took the car to a mecedes mechanic friend he said this is a problem with all C-class. If the hood is open (swith not closed) the wipers don't work!! He had had this problem himself and had replaced wipers,motor and wiper switch before he found it (he had removed the hood on the C-class he was working on).
I'm dropping the car off tonite to have the shop finish the hood alignment so the hood switch closes.(and should clear up the wiper problem).

If you have a C-class-- test this by trying to run the wipers with the hood open......

Thanks