Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

w203 Brake Pads Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Default RE: w203 Brake Pads Installation

You should get you car checked again and double check there isn't a bridge in the sensor wire.

Mine has 2 on the front and one one the rear.

Common sense would say a MINIMUM of 1 front and 1 rear would be needed as front a rears wear very differently.

Cheers

ORIGINAL: Yuille

I recently changed my rear pads and rotors on my 05 C230. The rear rotors that I installed were Zimmernman Cross Drilled Rotors. I thought that car would look and brake better with having all the rotors crossed drilled, instead of the front only. The installation was simple and straight to the point, and the brake pads were so easy, even a cave man can do it. and I spent $200 for the rotors and pads. And there is only one brake sensor on the entire car, and that is the front right caliper. The car looks really good with having all the rotors crossed drilled.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM

What size torx bit do I need for the calipers on an 05 C230? Someone told me maybe T-30. I have no clue. [&:]I have to change my brakes this weekend and I don't want to have to go to the store.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 AM

If this reaches you in time please please please dexter lightly sand your pads before placing them on your rotors!!! since your not turning them or applying them to a fresh even surface you will not HAVE THE SAME BEDDING RESULTS!! when you seat brakes they set to their "bedding " this is to prevent stress cracks over heating or GM favorite glazing. also two notes no one mentioned as far as i saw

1. ceramic or semi mettallic which did you use and do you knnow the differences?

2. do you have the big amg style rotors in front? if so you can turn the crossdrilled rotors you cannot absolutely cannot turn cross and slotted rotors or cryo forzen rotors. at the school wyotech they have done the results and mythbusters test and they found it cause hairline fractures in these rotors inside the casting where your veins or vents are inbetween the two surfaces not worth your or any other mb forum members waste or life so be careful.

please let me know how it goes. i work nights so i cant answer anyone until 9am sorry tty soon

Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 PM

The reason Mercedes only uses one sensor on the right front is because the front pads always wear down before the rears
and since pads wear fairly equally from side to side on the same "axle", there is no need to have two sensors in the front or
two in the rear, and really you don't need them in the rear since the front one will "trip" long before the rear pads ever wear.
At that point, you replace all four corners of the brakes and be done with it.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:44 AM

I know this is 4 years after these post, but, I tried to remove the rear calipers to change the pads and couldn't get them to budge. Do I have to take the rotor off to change the inside pad and to compress the piston? Hope someone can help. And still reads this thread. 2004 c230 kompressor

Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Default Brake pads

Why remove the calipers? Just push the 2 pins out, push the pads back with a screwdriver (slowly) between the pad and the rotor, drop in a new pad, do this for all the pads. Once done pump the brake pedal till you get a firm peddle and you're done!! 20 minutes max on each wheel.

Alan.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 AM

Alan,

Thanks for the advise. I will try this this weekend.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 AM

What I do before replacing the pads is work the metal edges of the new pads on grinder. Slightly. It removes burrs (if any) and smooth the edges.
As result, it is easier to insert the pads (without removing calipers) and the pads moving easier back and forth on their place.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Default Just did my front and back brakes on my 04 C230K

It's really not hard to do these brakes. The front are just as easy as the back.
Now MB told me there were sensors on the rear, well there isn't. You guys are right saying there is only 1 on the front right wheel. It pops on and off real easy and yes only get 1. Now I have the sports package like most of you guys have so that is the way the sensors go. I think on the V6 models they do have rear sensors. by the sensor at MB though. There are different sensors and a local auto store may give you the wrong one.

I was also quoted about $1400 for a brake job at MB. I bought parts from partsgeek.com and they were the best price I found. I also bought ceramic pads so the brake dust is at a minimum. I recommend getting those and the price is not much different. So just on the front i did a full brake job and spent around $300. When MB wanted $1400. and i also did it in about an hour.

One other thing is that I had the original rotors on my car and so when I took out the little screw they would not come off. So I had to spray WD40 on them and i beat the SH*T out of them with a hammer and they finnally pooped off. Now be careful doing this because you don't want to damage anything else under there. I think MB just put some glue of some sort on them when new.

anyway hope this helps. If you can doa brake job on any other car then you can do these. JUST DON'T TAKE THE CALIPERS APART! The pads will come out without doing that. That is the way MB does it and it is so easy.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 PM

How is the front sensor connected to the Pad? I got new pads but do not see any way to mount it.

Quick Reply: w203 Brake Pads Installation