Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Vibration/Shaking Problems with C240

Old 01-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Default Vibration/Shaking Problems with C240

Hi,

Is anyone else having this problem with their 2002 C240?

When you are stopped with your foot on the brake, then release (not accelerating yet), the car moves forward slowly, but vibrates/shakes and chugs along, as if it is having difficulty? But once you step on the gas it runs smoothly... it's perplexing!

My car has 65k miles on it, and I took good care of it. I took it to 2 mechanics who tried to fix it when the check engine light went on, but they still can't locate the exact problem and fix it. They fixed a lot of maintenance related items and replaced things that "needed" it. The car still isn't fixed and I don't know what to do with it now, and I've spent over $1,200 on it already!

Anyone out there have the same problem????

Old 01-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Vibration/Shaking Problems with C240

it is a problem on the transmission already. do not spend much on trial and error basis.

the lock-up clutch on the torque converter is maybe not adapted. it will be difficult to explain to you, so better let the dealer do it once.

a small pressence of glycol on the transmission oil can also cause this. it's slip and grab feeling.

things i have in mind:
need to adapt torque converter lockup clutch.

replace the atf but before doing it, check for the presence of glycol. VALEO radiator got this internal leak problem. if glycol is more than 100mg/l, flush the system and replace radiator.

check transmission control unit and reset all adaptations. (replace if found faulty).

good luck.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:22 PM

Sleepwalker is right on, sound like a tranny problem. Especially since you said it runs OK at acceleration.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm taking a chance someone will see this...

Your response actually helped me understand that I'm having a tranny issue. I am having the same problem with the vibrating and shaking upon letting my foot off the gas. It is getting worse now. I am noticing that the shifting also causes the "jerkiness".

Before I go to a mechanic. I have a question for you... Could this be caused by a front-end collission? I was in an accident in June, and this problem began after I got the car back from the body shop. The shop said it was only caused by low transmission fluid levels, and they checked the car twice. If this problem could be caused by the accident, please let me know. I will bring the car back to the body shop. Thank you,

Old 08-07-2016, 03:01 AM

Pls my c240 vibrate and shake wen in idle or about to accelerate, I hav change my plugs, change my oil injector, service d car change engine oil, air flow meter its kk , but still same, pls could it be cracked shaft/valve in the top cylinder