Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Default tint?

does any body know how much a factory tint cost and also is it extra cost for them to take the existing one off or it come with the job when buying a new one.

-Justin

Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 AM
Default RE: tint?

My understanding is that "factory tint" is actually when the glass has been darkened; rather than a film applied to the glass. Aftermarket tints are really the only option unless you're willing to spend thousands on new auto glass. What is wrong with the tint you have?
A good aftermarket job, with metalized tint film and a competent applicator, looks almost as good as real tinted glass-IMHO.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:08 AM

I would call around and price out different companies, I had my done with half metalized/half dyed tint. full metalized tint can have more of a reflective look and can interfere with intigrated radio attennas. My guy came to the house and saved me about 50 bucks cause his overhead was all in his truck, plus its more personalized. but mostly ask questions, like how long they have been tinting and of course a lifetime guarentee is a must, I will try to show some pictures but my computer skills are right up there with my spelling. Oh well, the file is too large sorry, but it looks really good

[IMG]local://upfiles/11296/ECCD2863E39B448AA4385695F616202A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 AM

OK I got it to work here is the after picture

[IMG]local://upfiles/11296/85B50A98D6EF4F03BBF80083E65FAD98.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2006, 07:29 PM

"Metalized" tint has nothing to do with the look of the tint. A metalized window film or "metallic tint" means that a metal layer is built into the construction of the film. The metalized layer gives it heat rejecting performance and fade resistance. All quality window film is metalized. When the look of the film has a two-tone or frosted look, this for appearance effect only.
Personally, I'd want it done at a shop- with a physical location. This way I feel more confident it would be there if I needed to return and have warranty work done. Expect to pay between $225-$275. And yes, definitely check out several places and look at a sample of their work-no bubbles and no more than 1/8 inch gap at top of windows.

BTW, beautiful C280 Sport you have there Chrisbnaz

Old 04-02-2006, 08:07 PM

I don't understand why people pay so much for tint. I pay $99 per vehicle because I get a returning customer discount. The regular price is $130. I think I'm getting ripped when I have a truck done, then think I'm getting over when I have a Corvette done (had two C5s done).

They use metalized tint and put an optional sunshade in the upper windshield if the customer wants one. It's a car toy store/garage place that's been there for about 15 years. It doesn't get any better than what these guys can do.

I heard of a GM dealership that wanted over $700 to tint a friend's mini-van. Incredible.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Maybe it’s a regional difference. ???? I live in the rainy NW at high latitude, which is to say, window tinting is really not essential. Therefore, we’d probably have less tinting operations than you’d have Georgia and the extra competition in your area could bring the price down? I don’t really know, but I don’t think $225 is out of line for this area. BTW, that was for my Focus wagon, so perhaps a sedan is less: not as many windows.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

I pay $190 at the place i go and thats the same price as the other guy in my town yet the place that is about 25 miles away charges $300 plus yet they all use the same 3M tint. The other guy can charge more cause his shop is even closer to the DC\metro area and people in that area charge even more.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 PM

Demand will have an effect for sure, but that dealer here charges $700+ for a mini-van, so I dunno. That sounds like more than they would charge in the NW.

The place I go to charges $130 for anything--mini-van, Focus wagon, just two windows on a truck, a C5 coupe with that huge curved rear window, you name it.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:16 AM

Thanks for the compliment, as for metalized I agree with you but, I said it CAN have more of a reflective appearance, but mostly the radio interference is the problem. second I would not just grab any Joe off the street, but my guy has been in business for 25 years and advertises weekly in the paper and a friend also used him blah, blah,blah... yeah he could up and move next week but so could a shop. needless to say I agree it depends on location, I am in Arizona so windo tint is a must so it is cheaper. I paid 190 for LIMO and just over legal in front plus a windshield strip. most store fronts quoted 250 to 275. My mini van was done by a friend of a friend for 150, so it depends on where you go, but after 5 years the minivan I mean manlyvan still looks great.

Quick Reply: tint?