Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement windscreens

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Default Replacement windscreens

I have just had fitted a new replacement windscreen under my car insurance (More Than - Cost £60.00 excess).
When ordering via auto windscreens, I asked for a genuine mercedes windscreen and was told that is all they fit for that model, Ok and it will take 2 days to order.
2 days later they turn up and fit the screen, as they are finishing off, I ask where the mercedes logo is on the glass, oh no this is an auto glass windscreen fitted.
Im back on the phone and while trying to sort this out, the windscreen cracks top to bottom, while driving.

Where do we stand with like for like windscreens, do we have to have a mickey-mouse glass or can we request a genuine windscreen (do we have to pay a premium for this).
Are mickey-mouse windscreens a different thickness/quality are they safe!

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Default RE: Replacement windscreens

I had a crack (stone chip) in mine & Safelite said they'll come to my house to replace it for $344. MB wants $1012. Have not been through my insurance so I need to find time to have it done by Safelite.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Default RE: Replacement windscreens

SafeLite usually does a great job. I know because I cannot stand the gazillions of tiny little pits on the windshield caused by road debris, and change my windshield all the time.

Generic ones are usually fine. The thickness is exactly the same, otherwise you cannot mount. Of course, the quality will never meet that of Sekurit.

Safelite and like vendors sell Honda and Toyota windshields for at or around $150 installed. So $350 for a Benz makes sense.

Do you know what is the most expensive window to replace in your car? The triangular ones on the back door. True for any car.