Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Default re starting problem

i put on the forum the other day about my car not starting the car is a merc 250 turbo desiel sport sleepwalker said it could be the glow plugs i have put new ones in but it will still not start has anybody got any idear what the problem could be please please please help lost with out my car

Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Default RE: re starting problem

I reread your previous posting on this and you mentioned that once the car started it would start every time after that. I assume that you mean if it is parked for a short time it will start but if it is parked overnight or longer it will not.

I have never done any work on a diesel engine. Theorectically all a diesel needs to start is fuel and air in the correct mixture ratio and compression to get the mixture to a temperature that causes ignition. In colder climates glow plugs are utilized to get the temperature of the mixture in the cylinder higher to encourage faster ignition. I have seen ether sprays used with various degrees of sucess as an aid to starting equipment diesel engines that aren't equipped with glow plugs. Diesel engine trucks used for snow removal where I work are typically outfitted with some sort of engine block heater to aid starting when the air temperature gets to around 32 degree F or 0 degree C. I have also seen heated oil dipsticks available. The idea of the heaters is to keep the oil warm and decrease frictional resistance when trying to start the engine.

While I don't have an answer for you. I suggest you post outside temperatures and climatogical conditions when the car won't start and when it will as well as circumstances such as you haven't driven it for an hour, several hours, all day or overnight. It might be worthwhile to try and determine if the glow plugs are actually heating up as they should. Try an internet search on diesel engine won't start and you might find some procedures you can follow.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Default RE: re starting problem

my car is fine now it was a leak on the fual injection pump it was letting air in when i was trying to start it it cost me £100 well worth it thankyou all for your help