Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise from ?? blower fan blades

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Default noise from ?? blower fan blades

Any help will be much appreciated for this:

Almost everytime I turn off the engine of my 94 C280, I can hear a noise from the passenger side dash area (kind of behind the passenger air bag). I don't know how to describe the noise but it sounds like some blower fan blades coming to a stop but somehow the axis of rotation is out of alignment so the blades are hitting something.

It doesn't seem to affect the air coming out of the vents but the noise has been getting louder by the day (yet very infrequently, there will be no noise at all). When I turn the climate control on, I can hear similar noise (like the fan blades start to move) but very gentle then it disappears until I turn off the engine.

Any idea what it might be? Many thanks.

KC

Old 12-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: noise from ?? blower fan blades

the a/c blower is located on that area.

if you turn off the blower, that sound is not present?

Old 12-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Default RE: noise from ?? blower fan blades

Hi Sleepwalker,

I usually turn off the climate control to "0" position before I shut the car. But strange enough, even after I turn it off and wait a while to make sure the blower system has stopped, the noise is still there when I turn the key to the off position.

I am wonder if there is any access for me to the area to check. I did see something in the forum about the AC blower and perhaps even foreign object getting into the system despite the pollen filter being in place.

It does sound like the fan blades are hitting or touching something while they gradually come to a halt when power to it is cut off. I am contemplating to leave it alone (it is just a noise for now) but I am also wondering if I heard it right that it came from the dash area (afraid it is something bigger from the engine compartment near that end).

Any idea?

Thanks again.

KC