Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective C280 4Matic Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Default Prospective C280 4Matic Buyer Questions

I am an 03 Audi A4 1.8T owner looking to change cars. I have been very happy with my A4, and I am also considering the new A4 2.0T. I am yet to drive the MB but plan to this weekend.

I plan to get Black ext, black int, sunroof package, heated front seats(?), Power drivers seat, Split rear seats and the ipod integration

Am I missing anything?

Owners of this model seem a little think on the ground, I'd like to hear experiences if you have one.

I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1: Does anyone have a picture of the car with the factory offered spoiler?

2: I have read mixed opinions on the h/k stereo, I'd love to hear more.

3: The MB site lists heated seats as an option for the C280 non 4Matic, but not for the 4Matic version. Is that correct?

4: The specs say that the front armrest is height adjustable. But I can't see how from the images. Can anyone clarify?

5: What is the difference between getting the full leather and the leather inserts?

6:I plan on getting the iPod integration, I understand the parts are about $300 but is it true they will charge $200+ to install?

7: What is your estimate on how much service will cost over 4 years (Audi provides this in the cost of the car)

8: If you don't get the split rear seat options the rear seat does not fold at all, correct?

9: I read a lot of people getting very close to invoice. Is it reasonable for me to use $1000 over invoice as a guide?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Prospective C280 4Matic Buyer Questions

1. I dont
2. I have H/K speakers on my laptop sounds good
3. dont know
4. not sure on the C-class
5. Leather inserts are just were u set and full leather would include the door panels and i assume the seat backs as well
6. dont know try to get the dealer to do it for free
7. Would do it myself so no idea
8. dont know
9 I would never pay over invoice for any car

Old 02-02-2006, 12:37 PM

Got the 05 version, black/ash/inserts/sunroof/heated seats/no rear fold down, 32k net which was below invoice, but the going rate at the time.

Great car. Maintenance costs shold be oil changes, 8 quarts of synthetic, and a filter. Who knows what they want for that. You can decise if twelve or thirteen thousand miles between oil changes is good enough for you. It ain't for me, but I do it myself.

$550 for the Ipod installed, they do not want to sell only the part. I am told that if you install it yourself, it still has to go to the dealer for programming. I passed on it. It will be all over Ebay soon enough as are the cd changers, and nav systems.

Another of the brood is looking at the Audi, but they seem to want MSRP for them, and a year old used is more than the MB. Makes no sense to me.

I cannot help with your other questions.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:16 PM

Under invoice was the going price, how was that???

Old 02-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

invoice is not what the dealer actually pays

Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Even so, I can't say I have looked at a lot of brands that will sell that low. Below invoice is 2,500 off invoice depending on options. Certainly makes it difficult to compare across brands!

So they might be pretty happy with $1000 over invoice...

Old 02-07-2006, 02:27 PM

I just thought I'd follow up with where I am on my purchasing decision.

In my research I have driven A4 2.0T Q, C280 4MATIC, G35x, IS250AWD, 325xi and I have to say the interior of the C280 was the least pleasing. It just didn't feel very luxury or very modern in the cabin. Some of the ***** and stalks were just not to my taste and seemed like they would feel more at home on a Ford, to be fair these same parts were also on the E class car in the showroom.

As for the drive it wasn't anywhere near the 325xi regarding handling and performance, and it was not as comfortable as the IS250AWD. I went to the dealership with the C280 at the top of my list based on the way it looks externally and the excellent iPod integration that is available. Unfortunately I was very dissapointed all round.

By the way the very first thing the salesguy said to me after the test drive was "I can give you an C on the lot for $500 over invoice." While I appreciate the good price it is not the best way to make me feel like this is a high demand car.

Basically the C is off my list (The 3 series is as well by the way but for other reasons).

This is not intended as a slight to those of you that love your cars, there was a woman in the showroom with me telling the salesguy how much better she felt in the C than the 3-series, so different strokes and all.

And thanks for all the help you guys have provided.