Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Panel Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Default Panel Failure

Hello. I have a C230 Sport Coupe and the information panel on the dash seems to be fading to the point that now, in daylight, it cannot be read. I have to check the clock while in the garage. Nothing seems to make a difference, even turning the brightness all the way up. When it can be read, it seems to still functions as normal. This one has the golden/yellow type of letters displayed. I find I rely upon this panel and now miss it since it is not working. Is there a repair which may be performed on this, or must the panel be replaced? Is this a common problem which a factory recall or notice might might fix at the dealer? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Default RE: Panel Failure

I, too, have this problem with a recently purchase Sport Coupe. I suspect there are some bulbs behind the display panel that have expired, but I have not tried to remove the dash panel. I see one screw on each side of the panel that will probably, ater they are removed, alloew the panel to be removed and access the bulbs. If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate some tips. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Hi, My C230 is a 2002 and in the center, it has a panel display, like LCDs which change and can be selected from the steering wheel. It will display things like which track is playing on the CD play, shows the time, will show time and distance traveled, mileage etc. By moving page to page there is a great deal of information which is provided. I don't believe there are any light bulbs behind this part, but I can check to make sure. At first I thought this panel was fading because of theextreme heat it is exposed to. This might be the cause, but it is definately getting worse. As I mentioned, I cannot read the clock in the car, and unfortunately, this is the only place were the time is displayed. I appreciate anyone advice about this one. Thanks

Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 PM

Hi

Here is a photo from Andys gallery which shows the instrument panel on a 2002 Sport Coupe. That rectangular square below the speedometer numbers is the information panel I am talking about. Thanks Andy, hope you do not mind showing this.

https://mercedesforum.com/photo.asp?...=6&apage=1