Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

2001 C240 possible Brake light failure leading to ESP/BAS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Default 2001 C240 possible Brake light failure leading to ESP/BAS Failure

Ok so here is my story(Cliffs at the end if you don't wanna read) I bought a 2001 C240 from the dealership. As soon as I first drove it I fell in love with the car. A few days after I got it, my right brakelight went out. I opnened the trunk, messed with the switch and it worked for awhile then went out again. A few days later it went out and wouldn't come back on. I replaced the brakelight, and it still didnt work, and my OTHER brakelight went out. Replaced some more bulbs, and then my tail lights went out, and a brakelight came on. Anyway I keep switching them around and then a error message comes on ESP Visit Workshop and BAS Visit Workshop. I switch the taillights/brakelights around some more and they all start working, but the message is still there. I turn my car on/off a few times and it goes away. Yester(about a week later) with everything working the ESP/BAS warning comes back on. After driving around for about an hr and turning my car on/off it goes away. Today the ESP/BAS comes back on. Can someone please help me I am GOING CRAZY

Cliffs:
- Bought 2001 c240 55k miles
- Week later rear brakelight goes out
- Mess around with bulbs/plugs it goes back on
- Few days later goes out again
- Replace bulbs, still nothing, but my OTHER brakelight goes out
- Replace the other bulb and then my tail light goes on
- Keep messing with bulbs, brakelights would come on, but tail's would be out, or tail's go out and one of the brakelight's would be on
- After 30min of switching bulbs around and replugging they all comes on
- THEN ESP/BAS Warning light comes on
- Let car sit for a bit switch on/off warning light goes away and all lights work
- Week later ESP/BAS comes on, goes away after an hour when I turned the car on/off a few times
- Day later it comes back on(Today) and isn't going away as of yet(all my brakelights and taillights still work, but I haven't even opened my trunk since b/c I'm afraid they will start going nuts again)
- Please HELP!!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Default RE: 2001 C240 possible Brake light failure leading to ESP/BAS Failure

With the car off and key out of ignition remove the connector from the ABS/ESP control unit. Check for corrosion in this connector. It was a common problem with these cars. There was aserviceprocedure that involved replacing 3 of thefemale terminals with gold plated terminals.