Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK need major help, new to Mercedes benz

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Default OK need major help, new to Mercedes benz

Can you tell me what class i should be talking in?

Ok, so i found an older model Mercedes-Benz Diesel engine, i know its a 5-cylinder, and its turbo charged. I was wondering what kind on problems would i run into if i were to put it into a 1991 S-10. Also how hard is it to yank that engine out of the car.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Default RE: OK need major help, new to Mercedes benz

If you want the honest answer, I'll give it to you. Don't waste your time. The best engine swap for that
vehicle is a Chevy 350, and I don't mean a junk one. I've done many engine swaps in cars over the years.
And most hot-rodders would agree. Stay away from these oddball swaps. It's only going to turn into a nightmare
and that's why you choose something that's easy to find, reliable, and has plenty of power, and not too expensive.
Assuming you're serious, even if you could get that MB engine in there and get it going, it would be far more
work and expense in the end than it's worth. That's the honest answer.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 AM

I figured MB guys would think the idea was cool, but i guess this is what automotive customization has come to. Only support your brand and do what everyone else has already done.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 AM

This is not "what automotive customization has come to". It's what people who have DONE these oddball swaps have
come to realize after spending a ton of money and endless time. Engine swaps of ANY kind need to be thought out carefully with a plan. If it's not practical or the end result doesn't warrant the grief, it's not a great idea. Plain and simple. I saw
your post and nobody had replied, so I tried to be helpful to you and at least answer to save you the time and grief I saw
with a swap of this nature. I am not a "Mercedes guy". I am a hot rodder with 45 years of doing this and other mods to hundreds of cars. If I thought it was a good idea, I would be the first to support it. I was trying to be helpful and give you an honest answer. That's the only reason I post on this site....to help others. Good luck.