Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Newbie with anti-theft question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Default Newbie with anti-theft question

Hello all, just purchased a '95 C280 - beautiful one owner, very clean, etc. The previous owner had an aftermarket keyless entry installed. I removed the universal keyless because I wanted to utilize the window up/down feature with the key in the door. Now my question: According to my owner's manual, I should have a red LED blinking on the rear headrest release button when locking the car with the key (simultaneously arming the alarm). The LED doesn't flash. I've checked the fuse in the trunk as well as under the hood (the ones labeled anti-theft). Anything else I could check? BTW, the universal keyless was just that - no starter kill, no siren under the hood, etc. It was just a ground, two power wires and 2 wires spliced into the driver's door wiring.

Thanks for any input! I've already learned a lot about my car by searching the forum.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Default RE: Newbie with anti-theft question

There had to be a reason why the previous owner put a third-party keyless entry system. There is something fishy about it. Why would he install that if the OEM key fob remote was working flawlessly? Right?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:18 AM

To switch from IR to RF, maybe? Or, as I suppose you suspect, the factory one was broken?

Old 02-24-2006, 04:39 PM

Hm..hadn't thought of that one. I guess I'll make a visit to the dealership to check on OEM equipment that came on it. I'm assuming all Benz' come standard w/ keyless?

Sorry...still learning about MB's. I can answer questions all day long about 3 Series and Miatas though

Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: arkansascarnut
According to my owner's manual, I should have a red LED blinking on the rear headrest release button when locking the car with the key
Are you sure? I have not seen a 95 with LED on the rear headrest release button. The security LED is on Tow Switch, unless you have a Nieman-Marcus Mercedes Benz. (Or, perhaps I am drunk.)

I'm assuming all Benz' come standard w/ keyless?
No Benz comes with standard keyless entry system, technically. The security remote that comes with a Benz has a mechanical legacy key in it, so you cannot dub it "keyless".

Old 02-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Sorry for the typo. My owner's manual actually states that the flashing led is located in the door lock/unlock button on the dash, not the headrest button as I stated. Going to the dealership today to find out exactly what was equipped on my car. It's not a N/M edition btw.