Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery and now the windows don't work right

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Default New battery and now the windows don't work right

Had to change the battery last night. The radio wants a code, of course, which doesn't seem to be the one in the manual, but that's another story. This morning, I noticed the windows don't work right any more. The first position on the switch will move the window up and down until I let up on the switch. The second position, which used to run the window all the way up or all the way down, now does nothing. Is this normal? (This is a 2000 C230.)

Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM

Your windows are OK. After battery has been reconnected, the electric windows and sunroof closed positions must be re-programmed by closing the windows and sunroof, and holding the operating switch in the closed position for a few seconds. Next time, before you change battery make shure that all windows are up and sunroof closed and then do as I already described.
By the way, the radio code appears on a code card, not in a owners manual. Only MB dealer can help you out.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by platonmind
Your windows are OK. After battery has been reconnected, the electric windows and sunroof closed positions must be re-programmed by closing the windows and sunroof, and holding the operating switch in the closed position for a few seconds.
That's cleared that up. Thanks. Makes sense, I guess.

Next time, before you change battery make shure that all windows are up and sunroof closed and then do as I already described.
For the record, the windows and sunroof were all closed at the time.

By the way, the radio code appears on a code card, not in a owners manual. Only MB dealer can help you out.
I have the card, but the code on it doesn't work. Either the card (and the owner's manual it was with) or the radio are not original to the car. I'd hate to have to tear in to the dashboard to get a serial number, and I'm not 100% sure that will work anyway.

Thanks again. The windows were the more annoying thing, actually.