Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

New 2004 C230K owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Default New 2004 C230K owner

Hi, I recently purchased a 2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe with 53,000 miles on it. I'm new to Mercedes, and I'm not at all familiar with the reliability of this model. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need? It's past 50k miles, so it's out of warranty, and I've been wondering if I should purchase an extended warranty from the dealer. The sales guy told me that it has 5,500 miles before it needs to be serviced. I've been told that it'll cost around $2500 for 2 years from the JM&A Group, which is what the dealer uses and recommends.

Any ideas/suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Default RE: New 2004 C230K owner

If you'll pardon the expression, this extended warranty issue is a bit of a crap shoot. You might get lucky and you might not.
I wasn't with my '05 C230K, which decided to eat it's supercharger later on in life. That alone would have cost me over $3,500. to have replaced. So, in my particular case, the extended warranty I bought for the car when it was new paid for itself right there.
Then there were several other issues and so on. Does this mean your car won't go to 100K miles without a glitch? No. Not really.
It just might be perfect and never break. This car has a few issues but I wasn't lucky on one of them and it was a fairly rare thing.
Extended warranties can be a bit tricky as well. For example, is the warranty good ONLY at the dealer that issues it? Is there a DEDUCTIBLE PER VISIT or a deductible PER ISSUE or NO DEDUCTIBLE at all? What is covered and what isn't? Is the deductible mileage AND time sensitive or just time? Is the extended warranty transferrable to another owner should you decide to sell and at WHAT COST if any? I would ask a lot of questions before I bought one and I think it's always a good idea to know what you are buying and how you will be treated should you need it. There are horror stories all over the web over these things. Hope this helps you out and also hope you car runs trouble free with or without the extended warr.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: mrcoyote

If you'll pardon the expression, this extended warranty issue is a bit of a crap shoot. You might get lucky and you might not.
I wasn't with my '05 C230K, which decided to eat it's supercharger later on in life. That alone would have cost me over $3,500. to have replaced. So, in my particular case, the extended warranty I bought for the car when it was new paid for itself right there.
Then there were several other issues and so on. Does this mean your car won't go to 100K miles without a glitch? No. Not really.
It just might be perfect and never break. This car has a few issues but I wasn't lucky on one of them and it was a fairly rare thing.
Extended warranties can be a bit tricky as well. For example, is the warranty good ONLY at the dealer that issues it? Is there a DEDUCTIBLE PER VISIT or a deductible PER ISSUE or NO DEDUCTIBLE at all? What is covered and what isn't? Is the deductible mileage AND time sensitive or just time? Is the extended warranty transferrable to another owner should you decide to sell and at WHAT COST if any? I would ask a lot of questions before I bought one and I think it's always a good idea to know what you are buying and how you will be treated should you need it. There are horror stories all over the web over these things. Hope this helps you out and also hope you car runs trouble free with or without the extended warr.
Thanks mrcoyote!

Old 12-09-2007, 07:46 PM

good luck!!! say hi to your dad....

Old 12-11-2007, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: august240

good luck!!! say hi to your dad....
lol will do!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 PM

i purchased the extended warranty and ive used it once or a major malfunction in the electrical box under the hood for the relays and for my brakes which i have only one chance to replace under warranty. i have the amg front rotors and big calipers so i know i saved im sure even in best circumstances some condiotion will arise where your safer to benifit from the one time cost rather than to grave not having one. oh and i used mercedes financials list of approved mb extended warranties if you call them up they offer it as well it will do you no harm to pick them with ?s as well best of luck to you and your car