Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Motor products

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Default Motor products

I have read that gas treatments are bad for Benz's. I used to get a can of the regular stuff with my Honda: engine oil cleaner/stabilizer, gas treatment, injector cleaner, etc.Is it safe to use these products or should just stick with oil changes and full tanks of gas?[/align]

Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Default RE: Motor products

OK>this is one of those areas where everybody is going to have a completely different opinion...I'm guessing.
So I'll give you mine. I myself would not add anything to the motor oil and I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic. You can use
pretty much any of their multi-weights and you should be fine. I personally think it's more important to change the oil and filter
on a regular basis than it is to add something to it. I have used fuel injector cleaner in my fuel and have had no problems.
I use TECHRON "Concentrate Plus" fuel system cleaner, about 7 or 8 bucks if not on sale, and it treats up to 12 gallons. It
was recommended to me for one of my other cars for a problem I had, and it actually helped, so I can vouch for this one only.
My car has 146K miles on it now and no fuel problems, injector problems ever. So that must mean I'm either lucky or this product
works. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 PM

Oil, oil filter and a full tank of gas has worked for all my cars. While I've had my fair share of problems over the years I have never had an engine problem.
I only change oil and oil filter according to the MB recommendations. I always fill up when the gas tank gets to the half way point. I used to add gas line antifreeze but don't bother these days. Only one car has had a rusted-out gas tank and gas line antifreeze will remove water condensation from the bottom of the tank, summer and winter.
I think most additives are a waste of money but as 'mrcoyote' says, everyone will have a completely different opinion.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 AM

From the Horses mouth, that is Mercedes-Benz Tech Support: The only fuel additive Mercedes approves is Techron period, as to oil use Mobil One full synthetic.

That's it, thats all there is. Are there others suitable? Maybe but if they don't submit themselves to Mercedes for approval they don't get it. Get it???

Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 AM

How often should one use the fuel additive and would it be best to add when the fuel tank is a bit less then half or lower?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:21 AM

While it is not part of their recommended services it is on their approved list and is recommeded by their service reps often when poor fuel performance is suspect.

A full bottle to a nearly full tank as often as your oil changes could be deemed appropriate or if you use Chevron fuel it is in their formula. It just does an excellent job of keeping the fuel systems clean per Mercedes-Benz.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Enough said, Techron it is for fuel and no messing with the oil.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Directions on the Chevron Techron "Concentrate Plus", the one I mentioned in my post, say to add the entire bottle
to a "nearly empty tank" and refill with not more than 12 gallons of gas. Also, while Chevron gasoline may also include their own detergents, it would not be to the percentage that a full bottle of concentrate to a tank of gas would be. The pour-in additive would be much stronger than just Chevron gas alone (obviously). If you don't get the Techron Concentrate Plus, it will not be as strong. They sell others as well. Look for this one. It works. Checker Auto Supply had it on sale as a two-for-one a while back, but I think that sale is over.