Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Mercedes repair secrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 PM

Hello Star_expert,
my 2001 C240 AT Elegance will not start. The lights, radio, etc come on. when I tried several time to start the car can start the enggine. after one day I try agane same problem the enggine dificult to start. I have to replace with the brand new Varta Battery, but the condition still same difficult to start the enggine, after tray to starter several time (maybe more than 50time for more than 3 minute) the enggine can running.
An after that the condition still like as before, difficult to star the enggine.
Any good advice?
Thank you
a. rousstia

Last edited by yb0baw; 04-13-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Default C280 Heater/Aircon Blower Problem

Hi There,
I am new to this forum, but I have searched, and couldnt find anything that quite answered my problem. I found your messages that said problems were as easy as 123, and thought you would be the best person to ask, so here goes.....

I have a problem with my C280 Sports Estate heater/aircon fan. The car is on an R plate in the UK. About a year ago, fan would only come on intermittently. When I opened the windows + listened, I could hear a loud clicking noise, but no air was blown into the car (other than through the windows)!

I discovered that by driving over speed bumps, sometimes I could persuade the fan to work, this worked for a while but I now need new track rod ends for the next MOT, so is not ideal.

I went into a garage + drove the mechanic around, replicating the fault, but he scratched his head + said he hadnt got a clue, but was happy to try to locate the problem - so I thanked him and left.

The problem remained intermittent, for a few months, but eventually it got worse, and worse - and by the end of the summer I could barely use the aircon at all - although sometimes it would come on after I had been driving around for a while, which was always a thrilling bonus! Winter came, and the same problem happened with the heating, so we drove around in winter clothing + managed.

Now that they are predicting a very hot summer, I really need to get this sorted because I am disabled, and I often have my bulldog Marilyn in the car with me, and she cannot cope with overheating.

I have been into a few garages. One wanted to dismantle the entire dashboard. Another said it "might" be the blower motor + quoted me a lot of money, when I looked horrified they mentioned recon units, but I dont know if thats a good long term solution.

I've been on a couple of websites where they say it could be the switch that needs soldering, or a sensor to get the blower to work, or the fan motor itself. We are on a limited income, and cannot afford to chop and change parts until we get the right one. I was hoping that you might be kind enough to help us.

When I turn on the blower switch in the car, i hear a loud clicking noise from somewhere under the bonnet. I DO get a trickle of warm air, or cold air, but no blower! However the trickle at least helps a bit, but I do get a lot of funny looks from people re the noise coming from my car!

[BTW - I do not have a workshop manual, perhaps you could recommend a good one?]

Until I became ill I did do a lot of my own maintenance. My husband is also very capable, and happy to try to fix the problem, when we finally establish what it is!

One last thing, dont know if it is connected, when we switch the engine off, we often hear a noise from under the bonnet, like a high pitched sigh, like a kettle going off the boil. I asked a Mercedes Mechanic what it was, and I was told it was very expensive, but I was not to worry! This didnt fill me with confidence. We are not using or losing any oil or water tho....

The car has done about 120,000 miles, and is about 3000 miles overdue for a service (we dont have the dosh at the moment). The last garage I took it to said they couldnt get the spark plugs out, so they havent been changed. The car did have a FSH until this last service.

Look forward to hearing from you, and apologies for the very long post.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Default C280 Heater/Aircon blower problem

Hi Terry, I have the same problem as you have. I follow the instruction of Mr. Kosonen to find the blower. Really its easy to find and to pull it out. But, sometimes the solutions could't be cheap or easy. Iam in Argentina , and I think that the blower and its parts are very very expensive all over the world in this brand. Try this link: http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/blower.html
In Argentina the Blower and its speed regulator cost u$s 2000.
Good luck. Horacio.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:45 AM

HI i have a 2001 c240 c class, the drivers seat module is draining the battery. I have to keep the two push-in connectors disconnected to stop this drain. When i need to move the seat i simply push in the connectors, move it, then remove connectors.
I believe there is a way of re-wiring the connectors to prevent this. would be most gratefull if any help is given.

Regards

Mike

Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks ! hope it easy as you said 1 2 3

Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Default problems in C280 aircon/blower

In the case in which you heard a high pitched sigh, like boiled water,or a whistle, the problem could be a no lubricated motor bearing.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:02 PM

Hi, I just recently replaced the Altenator and Battery on my 2002 C240 (after dying on me) I was able to reset everything like the ESP, Time, Sunroof.. ect. But I cannot get rid of the SRS alert, A friend told me there may be a specific battery for the SRS system and it may have died with the ALT and Battery, is this possible and if so where would it be and how would I change it. If this is not the case what else could it be? Any help would be much apreciated!
Thanks,
Mike at,
zigyrat@aol.com

Old 05-14-2009, 02:06 PM

Best description is in the hand book which comes with the car. I'm new to Mercs and I've done it.
Leyland

Old 05-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by stlhorse
star man
can you tell me how to reset service B light
Thanks
To reset B servise indicator.
Look in the hand book which comes with the car. It's something I've done and I'm new to Mercs.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Default Reset service display

Originally Posted by aolis110
Hi, can you tell me how to reset the service display on a 2006 C350?The display says the service is overdue.
I've reset my C220 CDI 2002 and I found how to do it from the book which came with the car.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Mercedes repair secrets