Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Mercedes C-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?

Old 03-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Default Mercedes C-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?

In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"?

I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner. On average, my results will be over ten months fresher than CR's. When buying a car, do you want to know how reliable it was a year ago, or how reliable it has been lately?

I’ve started collecting data on only one model year of the C-Class, 2005, and still need more owners even for that one. I'm collecting data on multiple model years of the A4, 3-Series, CTS, and G35. I'd really like to be able to compare the C-Class to these cars.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Default RE: Mercedes C-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?

Things have progressed since I posted this thread a year ago.

In February we released an initial result for the 2008, and will have a solid result for the new C-Class in May.

For the C203, the 2003, 2005, and 2006 are now included in the survey, but we still need a few more participants to provide results for these years.

To help get your model year included:

Vehicle reliability research

Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 PM

My cosuin has a 2004 C240 4Matic(22,000 miles). It has been great. No problems at all. Also he bought his parents one same year, same model just different color. theres has about 76,000 miles on it and they two have had zero problems. only times in the shop is for a service that eeds to be done. I have a 2000 C280 and its an ok kinda car. If you want a C Class I would recomend a 2001-2004 C240 or C320. They are great. or a new C350 or C300 Great also

Old 05-03-2008, 11:53 AM

What many people don't realize is that even with a model whose reliability is below average your odds of getting a perfect car still aren't bad these days.

I'd like to provide better information on the C-Class, but need more participants to help make this happen.

Vehicle reliability research

Old 05-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Latest results recently posted. For the C-Class, there's only a result for the 2008 so far. It appears to be slightly better than average, which is better than many people expect from a Mercedes lately.

I hope to include additional model years with the next update, in August. This will depend on how many owners sign up and participate.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM

hey, great link. helped me out

Old 06-27-2008, 01:39 PM

The reliability on any car is good now a days. Of course there are issues with every car becuase stuff happines. OH well! As far as the C Class. Hands down the W203 are by far better. The W202 are really cheap looking on the inside and remind me of a toyota or a Honda. The ride qulity is terrable also along with styling of it. The W203 are better looking, classy, quality is amazing and has room. I feel like with the W202 I cant use it everyday because its too small, rides bad anduncomfterbale.(I mine as well trade it in and drive a Corvette)

Old 07-03-2008, 12:34 PM

hi i bought a '94 c280 in dec. everything( engine harness,alternator, starter) has been replaced. so far, i put about 5k on it & i love it. i also put sl(8x16) mag wheels w/225/5016 tires.it idles very smoothly.put mobil 1 5w40 oil & synthetic tranny fluid. so far so good, no complaints

Old 08-19-2008, 01:17 PM

The latest results, just posted, include a partial result for the 2005 as well as the 2008.

The 2008 has a repair rate near the average. The 2005, based on a smaller number of responses, appears to require more repairs than the average 2005 model.

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Old 09-18-2008, 11:51 PM

I purchase a 2003 C230 Sport Sedan in March of this year with only 36K miles. It is approaching 48K miles and I have only had to do the recall... Been a very good car (knock on wood). There are a few issues I have not had looked at yet... The power part of the driver seat does not work and the springs groan when going slow. I purchased an extended warranty, so I will have those looked at when I have time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mercedes C-Class reliability - how does it truly compare?