Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:32 AM
Default Limp mode?

I have a 2011 S204 C Class estate, 2.2 diesel AMG sport with the 7 speed automatic transmission 7g tronic. it has done 106,000 miles.

l have dad this car for 18 months with the only issue being a whistling noise.
the last few times l have used the car l have noticed the revs were higher than usual so l changed up manually but it would change down again or reject that gear.
l stopped the car and with the key turned one click l held the throttle pedal to the floor for 10 seconds as l had seen a vid saying this resets the gearbox, but it might have been supposed to be in position 2, ignition on? still this worked for a few miles till the issue returned so it maybe be that just restarting the car fixed it for a bit?
anyway l drove it 90 miles and it was ok most of the way but on the return journey a week later it was back, this time i tried putting the gearbox in M but it wouldnt allow me to change with the paddles or lever, also the kickdown wouldnt work at all in any setting.
in E the gearbox would allow me to manually change gear but no kickdown and wont rev over 3k .
l stopped the car and tried to reset the gearbox with the ignition on this time but on restarting the car it was the same but now l notice the engine light is on.
Any thoughts greatly received. i am in the uk in case that makes a difference.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Have you tried pulling the car's codes using a scanner tool? This should give you a definitive answer as to where the issue is coming from. An independent MB shop should be able to do this, as can the dealer. Let us know if you have any questions or if we can assist with any future part needs.

If you're looking for a scan tool, check this one out: Schwaben Pro Scan Tool for Mercedes Benz

Old 10-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Hi Pelican Parts.
Thank you for replying, the next day the engine light was off and has not returned, nor has the gearbox issue. so im trusting it will now be ok.
Thanks for the recommendation on the scanner, l wil keep it in mind.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by nicko500s
Hi Pelican Parts.
Thank you for replying, the next day the engine light was off and has not returned, nor has the gearbox issue. so im trusting it will now be ok.
Thanks for the recommendation on the scanner, l wil keep it in mind.

No problem at all, glad to help out! Let us know if we can assist with anything else.