Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.

Ipod for 2003 C 240

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Default Ipod for 2003 C 240

I have an ipod and would like to hardwire it to my 2003 C240 factory stereo. I have the 6 CD changer and don't have the navi. Is there a simple way to do this besides using the FM trasmitter. I live in the City and interferance is a problem. Thanks Chris

Old 03-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Default Ipod for 2003 C 240

i just picked up an 03 C230 sedan, and would like to do a similar thing. In the top tray of the armrest, there is an electric port that has a little plastic cover...I have no idea what thats tied into or whit its purpose is...it may be some kind of aux input for the stereo, which needs to get programmed (like in new saab 9-3's) I'll have to ask the dealership.</P>

I was thinking about making a fixture to mount the ipod in the ashtray, it would definitely fit in that space, all you'd have to do is hit play and close the cover, it would be a very clean install.</P>

Has anyone tapped into some kind of aux-stereo setting in the c-class?</P>

Old 04-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Default RE: Ipod for 2003 C 240

HI!

I drive a W202 and I wanted to do the same, but here in Germany the ipod is very expensive, but with mit Radio (Mercedes Benz Special) its very easy to handle, I only have to use the sound signal of the ipod and put it above the sound signal from the CD Changer or you put a switch between. Another question for me is, how to use the keys of the head unit to control the ipod, is this makeable?

Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Default RE: Ipod for 2003 C 240

Here's a couple of ways...

1. Change out standard radio with Command - this gives you an AUX input. The standard radio does not. This is a very expensive solution. About $1500. to retrofit this.

2. There was a post on another forum on how to convert the cassette player into a AUX input. It involved soldering in a cable and disconnecting the cassette mechanism. Didn't look too difficult and would provide good sound, but you would give up the cassette player which would no longer operate. This is a very clean way to do it as you can route the cable to where ever you want to put the iPod (console, ashtray, glovebox, etc). This is the least expensive solution. Just the cost of the cable, about $5. and a few hours to put it in.

3. Use an FM modulator that attachs to the antenna input on the radio. This is the easiest way to give an AUX input to the radio, but you'll be limited to the bandwidth of the FM radio. About $40. and fairly simple to put in.

4. Wait for the new Alpine headunits that will have an iPod cable. This would be the slickest choice as you would be able to control the iPod from the headunit controls. It's going to be a cable that connects to the iPod dock connector and will charge the iPod and give the headunit control. They are supposed to be out this summer. This is the first and ONLY solution that allows control of the iPod from the headunit. Price will be about $800. for iPod adapter and new headunit.

5. You could also use a cassette adapter - looks like a cassette with a cable attached to it. Sloppy look with the cable hanging out and you have to jam the cassette door over the cable as it needs to be closed to work. I suggest the Sony version for about $20.- get it at Target. Don't use the white Belkin one, it's very cheaply made and the 2 that I tried rattled a lot. I use this solution now, the Sony, waiting for the Alpines to release when I'll change the headunit.

Stay away from the FM things(Belkin, iTrip) that transmit FM to the radio, I've tried them and they don't work well since our antennas are in the rear glass.

Good luck, and let us know what you choose.

-Ken