Mercedes C Class Mercedes C230 Kompressor, Mercedes C240, Mercedes C280, Mercedes C320, Mercedes C350 Sedans, Coupes, and Wagons.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INTERNET BUYER BEWARE: C230 not quite as "clean" as advertised

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Default INTERNET BUYER BEWARE: C230 not quite as "clean" as advertised

I had been in discussion with a Utah dealership for a few days right now on purchasing an 05 C230 with 3,000 miles. See here:
http://tinyurl.com/ywm6qa

I posted a couple of threads for questions in regards to it.

In any case, the story is that it's an 05 with 3000 miles, it was in an front end accident, and is now being sold looking pretty much brand new.
The Carfax is clean, and the pictures online indicate the car in very good condition. I was made to believe, based on statements and the online pictures that the car was repaired very well. Great,

I was told that the dealership got a "good" deal on the car but that he "doesn't know" the body shop that did the work, and can't say whether or not the parts used where brand new Mercedes stock parts or....

However, after requesting multiple times, and finally receiving SOME more close up pictures, it is clear that the Internet does not tell the full story, and that there is no replacement from actually seeing the car.

I've attached some pictures that shows that the car is not as "new" looking as it might seem.
Note:
**The bumper does not allign to the fender
**The bumper does not allign to the hood, at all.
**There are very noticable scratches on the center console around the shift lever.
**There is a noticable scratch on the steering wheel.
**The interior engine bay looks very dirty..

I was told there is some overspray, but I was not given a picture, even when asked.
B/c of the size restriction, I can only upload one picture that shows the fender + hood issue. If someoene wants the rest, pm/email me and I can get those to you.

In the end, I would advise anyone looking to purchase this car over the Internet, as I did, to proceed with caution. It is far from the "3000 miles, parctically brand new!" car I thought it was and I hadn't even seen the car in person. I was down to $23,000 on the car and shooting for $22,000 but I don't think even $20,000 would make me take it. At the "right" price, I'm sure it can be a good deal, but know what you're getting yoruself into. I almost wired the dealership the money untill I saw these pictures... thank God I persisted.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Default RE: INTERNET BUYER BEWARE: C230 not quite as "clean" as advertised

Good catch. No reason to buy one that has been smashed at all there are plenty out there.

-Eric

Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: INTERNET BUYER BEWARE: C230 not quite as "clean" as advertised

Good call, I bought mine at a benz dealer, 4 more years and 100K warranty, it a 06 sport and paid just a bit more....but with the warranty and buying from a benz dealer I feel much better....